Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Wedgetail99
Senior Contributor

Recovering from prescription drug dependence

Hi everyone, 

I'm new to this forum. Two days ago I confessed to my partner that I'd been taking anti-anxiety meds and pain killers in high doses for fun and perhaps to self medicate my anxious, depressed self into a stupor. I'm managing to stay away from them without too much trouble, but my concern is that my job requires me to work in close proximity to these drugs and I'm finding this is triggering my cravings and weakening my willpower. 

I'm wondering if anyone else has been through anything similar, or has any advice. Changing careers isn't an option for me. I love my job and will be exposed to these situations every day, and I really want to find a way to cope better.

Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Recovering from prescription drug dependence

Hi @Wedgetail99

Namesake of Bunjil

Smiley Happy

I had to come off drugs in a situation where I was surrounded by them going to and from work. lol  Over 30 years ago.

I was drug free for 20 years before my system and situation required prescribed meds.

My best advice ... is  face your fears and fly directly through and between the horns of your dilemnas.

Like having a last cigarette in your pocket to test yourself mind/willpower over that particular kind of matter.

Smiley Happy

Also use distraction/reward to maintain focus re issue.

Yours sincerely

Apple

Thank you Apple xx

Hi @Wedgetail99, I too take prescription meds, but only as prescribed by my psychiatrist. Anxiety and depression are hard to live with and may be best managed in consultation with professional practitioners. Do you have a trusted GP, psychiatrist or psychologist? That's where I'd be going for help to rein in the excesses of what you have been doing. If you prefer to remain completely med free, a psychologist might be helpful, for talk therapy and coping suggestions. If you don't have any of these, finding a GP that's good to talk to would be a good start. Wishing you well, Maz

Hi @Mazarita,

Thanks for your reply. 

I have prescription medications for anxiety which are effective for me without making me too tired, but the ones I was abusing were not prescribed to me and this makes me reluctant to discuss it with my (very good) GP or psychologist. I don't want it to impact my access to my prescription meds because at times I really do need them.  I'm worried my GP won't prescribe the meds I need if I tell them I was taking others that I didn't need. 

In two hours I start work.
The first shift since I admitted to my partner and myself that what I was doing was self-destructive and unhealthy. I feel alright about the meds, but I'm dreading going to work. I've had 3 days off and tonight I won't get to see my partner or my children and this is making me feel teary and down. Seems silly because I have tomorrow off, and I know I just need to get through this one shift and I'll be with my family again.

to abuse meds. i go dr shopping (if im aloud to say that on here)

i take alot of  other meds which im addicted to. i wish i could stop but i cant. plus im on alot of other meds that are prescribed for me. my dr doesnt know about the other meds i take only the one she gives me. 

i really wish i could stop but im beyound addicted now. if i admit to it to my doc i would need to be in hospital to get off of them. its really sad realy. i have put myself in this situation and now i cant get myself out of it

Hi there @Wedgetail99 @Mazarita @Appleblossom @Twinklelight 🙂

I just wanted to flag how medication can impact people in varying ways. Some in positive and negatives ways, we're all different. Having a trusted treatment team is a great tool for us to have on offer, that way when we have any concerns we know exactly who to turn to. I'd support and encourage you @Wedgetail99 to work with your GP around a plan on how to manage meds and the issues poping up in relation to the meds. If they have the full story then they can offer their best help and support, I'm a big believer in honesty and transparency but it also needs to sit well within you. 

Please let us know how you go or if you uncover some helpful tools you implement for yourslef along the way.

Take care 🙂 

I was gathering that you have a lot of knowledge re the effect of medications. 

@Wedgetail99

It can help with objectivity to manage your situation with the input of another person.

Perhaps staying well for your children can be the biggest motorvater.  

Medical referrals are all very well, but often dont solve everything. @Pebbles

Doctors and health workers are people too.

Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance