Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

jobe
Contributor

Career choices

Hi. I consider myself a relatively high functioning person with BPD but one of the biggest challenges I face relates to career choices - and who I am.
I have had every kind of job under the sun, and I have commenced every kind of study course - some to conclusion - but others I have abandoned because I have lost interest.
I have achieved some career success but I have only kept a job for two years at most (and I am in my mid-40s). I keep changing things up - and I have been lately in employment in 6 month stints for the past 3 years. Thats a lot of jobs and Im exhausted.
Does anyone have any tips or insights into managing employment with bpd?
I appreciate that I have been really lucky to have work - I just think that my luck might be running out.
Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Career choices

Hi @jobe

Thanks for asking, I am confident our community here will have some insight into this area for you, from a lived experience perspective. @Change123 @BlueBay @Former-Member I wonder if you have any insight into this for @jobe

There are also threads in the special events area which are called Career Chat and can be found here, I wonder if you may find something of interest in the variety of conversations available there. 

One other option I feel curious about is around finding out what is of interest to yourself, what are the top 3 things and bottom 3 things you have liked or dislkiked about your jobs? Maybe this could help you begin to form some ideas of the avenues you want to explore and the ones you want to stay away from?

Hope this is a good starting point for you.

Pebbles 🙂

Thank you @Pebbles 🙂

I will definitely check out the Career Chat and the idea of making a list of top and bottom 3 things makes good sense. I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers
Former-Member
Not applicable

I work and live with MI. I find that its difficult unless you are doing something that you are passionate about. If that's not possible then find it in a hobby. Hope that helps

Thanks @Former-Member - I think my challenge is that my passions are so changeable. For instance I want to be a writer. Then I want to be a social worker. Then I want to be an urban planner. In the moment I am completely and honestly passionate about my choices.
Former-Member
Not applicable

Well could you write for a hobby so you feel fulfilled? I know work is hard. I struggle sometimes too.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance