Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Decadian
Senior Contributor

Aboriginal Learnings

@utopia @Appleblossom and I all have more than a passing interest in the stories of our Indigneous People and so I have opened this thread for us and anyone else who would have something to the Historical Stories of the Cultures of our First People

My son was born in 1969 and died in 1986 - it became apparent that he was of a different skin colour during middle childhood I guess - and by the time he died it was very obvious -

There is a popular opinion I imagine that all our Indigneous People are dark-skinned - but that is not necessarily the case - my son had an olive skin, curly black hair and brow-ridges - and it is not what anyone else ever thought or felt about it - the whole issue was what he thought and felt about it

Now Utopia has brought it to my attention that there are website about their culture and I know Apple has been working in this area for a long time so my aim is to follow up what I can from the website on Aboriginal Culture that Utopia has mentioned and opened this for more discussion

This is not done to right the wrongs of the past but rather to open discussion about the future and what their culture can add to our culture and our future

Decadian

34 REPLIES 34

Re: Aboriginal Learnings

@Decadian. Thank you so much for being proactive and opening up this new post.
The journey that I am currently on, is definitely based around spirituality and finding and loving my true self.
As such, this journey has led me to Aboriginal Heritage Sites. It is a growing passion of mine, to find out as much as I can about the Clan that used to live in my part of Victoria. Unfortunately, no book has been written, so I'm having to find a sentence here and a paragraph there and try to put the peices together. As this clan was wiped out more than 100 years ago - but there kinfolk, live nearby - it is a slow process - & I'm only just starting.
I'd like to encourage anyone who has a passion for the Original Peoples of this country & the environment they looked after - to join this post.
I am not of Aboriginal descent. But personally, I don't think you need to be, to be comfortable exploring our Countries First Peoples.
It's all about respecting their culture and the culture of the land we live on.

@Former-Member is also interested and has experience in this area.  No pressure Bella at this flat out time of year for teachers...  just alerting you to this thread.Smiley Happy

This is very encouraging - comments and likes already - and thanks @Appleblossom for including @Former-Member in the tags

And thanks also @utopia for mentioning that you are not of Indigneous Descent yourself - neither am I - my son was an adopted child - and as we adopted him without the knowlegde of his background

Had I known I would have searched for him -

Also it is my opinion that the more we know of the heritage of our First Australians the more we will enhance our own lives - we were - for the best part - born here too and it is also our country - so I do like the idea of reconciliation

Decadian

There are some truly intriguing concepts in the Indigenous Australian cultures, I'm really interested in finding out more about things like dream lines however not so sure if I'm really supposed to know they exist not identifying as Aboriginal at all myself, and I certainly wouldn't want to offend or get anyone in trouble you know 🙂 Would be amazing to know more though, and I'm sure it would have done the world a lot of good to have the comparison to our own traditions

There was this amazing show on free-to-air I think Monday night/morning about Australian ghost stories, very enjoyable, got a bit teary on the last 1

We really need to be able to edit our posts 😉

You can @Shazab 🙂  There's an edit button next to the date and time of the post.

Thanks @suzanne, don't think it's so doable on a phone unfortunately,

You could be right @Shazab.  If it's typos you're worried about, don't be.  We're a bit fan of them around here Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance