Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Knitting

Hi @tyme @Gwynn @maddison @Former-Member @Shaz51 @Daisydreamer @Former-Member and all knitters here! Thanks for the lovely compliments regarding my knitting! It’s very much appreciated and taken on board. I’m so glad you like what I do as it gives me pleasure just knitting things and relaxing at the same time. Below is a photo of beanies 22-24 that I’ve completed a few days ago, with me working on my 25th beanie right now. 

FDCE454D-580B-40F4-BECE-EB0C939700CC.jpeg

I’ve also started working on a granny square crochet blanket on Sunday afternoon as a break away from knitting as I was getting slightly bored of doing beanies and my blanket. I found that I was really relaxed and happy whilst working on my crochet and my Tafe counsellor told me that crocheting is part of mindfulness which I didn’t really know so I’m glad I’ve added that skill/hobby to my list of coping strategies in my toolkit of resources for things to do when I’m not travelling well mentally. After having some bad days on Thursday and Friday, I found that the crochet helped calm me down and I really enjoyed working on the blanket which I’ve continued to work on into the rest of this week. I did crochet a while ago and learnt several years ago but I never knew how much I missed it until Sunday when I decided to pick up a crochet hook again so I’m glad I’m back doing it again. The blanket will be for myself although I’m thinking of making my housemate a blanket later on if I get around to completing my one. I’ll post a photo of my crochet blanket later for you to check out!

Take care!

Judi9877☺️💐🧶

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Judi9877 I just love hearing how you’re re-discovery of crochet and it’s benefits that come with doing that has been ignited in your life recently.

I am astonished at how many beautiful beanies you make and love the combination of colours you choose. Who ever receives them has the unknown blessing of them being made with such love & care.

Thanks for posting these latest ones  for us to get a sneak peek at ❣️

Well done @Judi9877 

Honestly I only logged in to see your beanies! They look so soft and cosy. I like the colours. You have good colour skills, something I'm slowly developing in my crochet too.

I'm curious what you will do with your beanies? 

Keep going your doing great! I'm resting, I finished project couple days ago, not ready to start new one yet. I ended up making a bracelet with beads today to help occupy my mind a bit.

Good evening @maddison @Former-Member @Gwynn @tyme @Former-Member @Shaz51 @Daisydreamer and all knitters here. I’m back again posting - this time a baby beanie I knitted in 3 1/2 hours tonight after my housemate and best friend requested some beanies to send off for babies in Ukraine as part of her collection of things she is preparing to help those affected by the war over there. She originally wanted to buy some from Kmart or Big W but they didn’t have any so I agreed to knit 4 beanies for her willingly and I’m so glad I did as the pattern I chose was a brand new pattern that I found and which I had never knitted before until tonight. It’s called a Teeny Beanie hat from the lovecrafts website in case anyone is interested. I realised too late that I was knitting with 2 odd sized needles but the beanie has turned out well so I’m going to continue to use them and make the other 3 beanies the same way. At least the beanies will have my very own spin on the pattern which makes the beanies extra special in my opinion!

8F47084F-9F36-4F37-9AA3-8113CE77DE02.jpeg

@maddison @Former-Member thanks very much for the special comments about my previous post with the beanies I posted earlier. The beanies I’m knitting are for the local Salvation Army branch and I’m planning on knitting 31 beanies - equivalent to a month- for them to hand out by the end of April. I visited the local centre back in December looking for assistance which they very happily gave me and I told the staff member that I knit and we spoke about how much the people appreciate beanies so I offered to knit some for them. I didn’t specify how many beanies I’d knit - I came up with the goal later on - but it’s given me a purpose and something I love doing since I know the pattern off by heart and I get to be creative with the different coloured yarn I knit with and the patterns I chose, according to what yarn I’ve got in my stash at home (I also tend to buy some from Spotlight occasionally as well if I feel like spending money). I try to make the beanies in different colours knowing that the recipients will be able to chose their own beanie and I try to make the beanies in colours that all people will like, although I will admit that if I have dark colours, they tend to be preferred by males as a matter of choice from what I’ve been told by charity organisations, so I like to try and cater for all people, regardless of age or gender preference. The main thing is I enjoy knitting and I feel happy and relaxed knitting as it helps calm me down and helps me with my mental health. I find that when I’m stressed, knitting beanies tends to be one of my go to projects as I’m forced to focus on the pattern, especially the bottom section in the rib pattern of knit 2, purl 2 for 106 stitches, and it helps me calm down and get myself back in a happy state of mind. My 4.5mm knitting needles are very much treasured along with a stitch counter and yarn needle for sewing up and I always try to have these nearby and as part of my coping strategies toolkit whenever I get stressed out as I know this works for me. My psychologist is also aware of how much knitting means to me and how much it helps me and advocated for me to allow me to knit when I had my psych ward admission last September which I very much appreciated. 

Take care and thanks once again for the lovely comments! 

Judi9877☺️💐🧶

Your welcome @Judi9877 

I think what you're doing is a beautiful thing, for the salvos.

Many of the people are going through very hard struggles, & I can tell from your post that you are putting lots of love into your knitting.

I absolutely adore the beanie you posted. The rainbow yarn is adorable. What a great job.

Good afternoon @maddison @Gwynn @Former-Member @tyme @Former-Member @Shaz51 @Appleblossom @Ripples and all knitters here. Thanks for the great comments! 

I have just completed beanies 26 and 27 in the past few days along with starting a crochet granny square blanket for myself which I’m really enjoying working on. I plan on using 4 balls in the granny square blanket to make it a big blanket just for me. I know it will take time but I’m okay with that as I find it calming and relaxing which is also good for my mental health. See below for the photos!

A17ADE96-5AA6-4E49-8690-0E38EB93A411.jpeg

A1B3C632-BF56-41AD-AEA4-EB213C18B7AA.jpeg

I’m really enjoying working on my knitting and crochet as it gives me something to do at the moment as I’m in between studying as I’m still waiting to hear if I’ve been accepted into the online version of my Tafe mental health course. If not, I’ll go back to do uni and work on my degree in psychology as I’m still enrolled in that degree with the study period starting in April.

Take care and keep on enjoying your knitting!

Judi9877☺️🧶💐

Hi there @maddison @Gwynn @Former-Member @tyme @Shaz51 @Daisydreamer and all fellow knitters here. 

Yesterday was quite successful knitting wise for me as I got out my Christmas Day jumper that I started on Christmas Day with the wool I purchased as a Christmas present to myself and was able to finish the back off. I’m now working on the front of it and hope to have it completed in time for Easter and the colder weather coming up. See below for the photo of the jumper. 

D167ED17-F810-4E53-9ABE-DDBFF2B11049.jpeg

 I’ve also ordered more of the same yarn as I lost some of the balls of wool so I think I might have enough when it arrives from Wangaratta to make my housemate a jumper as well which she told me she’d love to get. I’ll see what happens in regards to that as I also have a package of the same wool colours except I’ve chosen black instead of blue at my sisters house which I’ve got plans to knit the same jumper but in a different pattern colour sequence for myself as well. If there’s any yarn left over (I’m thinking of possibly 5 leftover balls), I might knit a jumper for charity as the wool is 12 ply acrylic and is knitting up relatively quickly but again, I’ll see what goes!

Take care!

Judi9877☺️💐🧶

Wow😍 @Judi9877  ! This jumper is incredible. Well done. Amazing!!

I like to use 12 ply too occasionally. It's fun when work comes together quickly.

Hi there @maddison @Gwynn @Former-Member @tyme @Former-Member @Shaz51 @Daisydreamer @Ripples @Faith-and-Hope @Appleblossom and everyone here. Thanks for all the lovely comments you post!

This weekend has seen me knit a baby jumper for my housemate’s collection for things to be sent to people in Ukraine along with me knitting a baby beanie earlier in the week - Thursday night. See below for the photos.

9AFB59FB-A621-445E-BBED-53ECD88D9822.jpeg

E8D55D81-2F65-4298-B9BB-4CBEB6A35488.jpeg

 Now I’m knitting another baby beanie to go to the collection for her. I’m finding the baby beanie pattern really easy to knit and understand and I’m enjoying knitting the beanies on 3.25mm and 4mm knitting needles. I’ve also been working on a blanket for charity on 4mm needles with the length of each strip x 8 strips being 1.2m long. I went to Spotlight yesterday (Saturday) with a gift voucher and picked up 12 balls of wool for a baby blanket for charity that I plan on knitting after I’ve done this adult blanket. I’ve given up on knitting myself a 12 ball blanket as I got bored of it so I’ve decided to use the wool from that blanket to the adult blanket instead that I’ve chosen to knit. That’s the thing I love about wool- you can always change your mind about a project and put the wool to good use on another project instead. I start uni tomorrow (Monday) so I’m planning on allocating time in my schedule to knit as part of my relaxation time and time away from the books so I’ll be able to get some projects done. I’ve also just had to reorder some wool from Bendigo Woollen Mills to make my housemate’s mother a cable knit scarf that I’ve misplaced in our house move back in November last year so I’ve also got that project to start again. Luckily I’ve still got the cable pattern stored on my phone and in my emails to access it and to have ready to knit when the wool arrives in the mail.

Take care!

Judi9877☺️💐🧶

Former-Member
Not applicable

That jumper is incredible @Judi9877 !
Great colours too on both 💛
Hope the knitting time you have planned for today is restful.
Hope you have a good day being back at uni.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance