Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovery Club

Gwynn
Senior Contributor

Re: Knitting

Well, I’ve managed to overshoot the finish line by 10 cm or so, so I’ll have to tink for a while and then cast off and sew up the sleeves. 😝

Hi @Gwynn 

Well done on your knitting! As for knitting too much, I’ve had that experience several times and can understand what you’re going through! I’ve also had the opposite whereby I’ve knitted not enough and have cast off and then had to knit another section to add to the rest of my knitting - a blanket- which is also annoying! 

As for me, I’m back knitting a baby jumper that I had a break from and I’m glad to have a break from knitting beanies to be honest! I’m only working on the front section so I’ll have to complete that and then knit the back and then it will be another jumper completed for charity.

Keel up the great work!

Judi9877☺️💐🧶 

Gwynn
Senior Contributor

Hi @Judi9877! I'm glad you've also knitted too much. 🙂 Glad to hear you're back into your backburner baby jumper. How do you cope with the sulky, restless feelings that come with having nothing to knit? I can't immediately start a new project, you see, and find relief that way.

Hi @Gwynn and others! @Gwynn I’m sorry you feel restless about having nothing to knit. That’s a little sad to be honest as I’m usually the opposite in that I constantly have so many projects on the go that I have to stop myself from starting another one! The best way I think to deal with these feelings is to carefully think about what you want to knit and what you would enjoy doing so it’s not a chore for you. Maybe you could challenge yourself to knit a blanket that can keep you warm in winter for yourself or someone else? I’ve still got my mental health recovery Blanket that is still to be finished along with several blankets for myself and charity not to mention my jumper that I started on Christmas Day which I haven’t picked up in a while. As for beanies, they’re something I can do anytime but I’m a little bored of them so I’m taking a break. That’s why I’m knitting the baby jumper at the moment. As for my Crazy Blanket that I’m knitting for myself, I find that it’s easy to pick up and knit whilst waiting for classes to start online via zoom as I don’t have to concentrate as much and it’s easy to do without worrying about a pattern. 

Maybe you could look at the internet for some inspiration and ideas as well? If not, look at knitting magazines at the local library or at a newsagent and get some ideas that way? Another idea is to look at knitting for charity if you don’t want to knit something for yourself as I know charities always welcome things like beanies and blankets. Again, these are just ideas I’ve got for you.

I hope you rediscover your knitting mojo again soon!

Take care! I look forward seeing what knitting creation you put your mind to next!

Judi9877☺️🧶💐

Hi @Gwynn @tyme @Former-Member @Shaz51 @Daisydreamer @Eve7 and all knitters and forum friends here. I finished the front of my baby jumper earlier tonight - see below for a photo- in mustard and teal blue. I spent a fair bit of today on it determined to get the front finished which I did so I’m quite proud of myself. I hope you like it!

7911A572-B3B1-4B55-A23F-517F87B78F66.jpeg

I’ve now just started a new blanket that I’ve called My 12 Ball Blanket as I plan on using 2 balls per strip for 6 strips which I’ll see up to make a blanket just for me. I plan on knitting it whilst I’m on zoom waiting for it to load on my computer for Tafe classes as well as knitting it in my free time. I found the 12 balls of wool in amongst some of my things whilst tidying up so I plan on putting them to good use. At least I know that I won’t have to necessarily worry about measuring the blanket lengths as it’ll be 2 balls length worth of each strip for me to sew up. I just have to keep focused to work on it and complete it. I think I’ll add this to my list of challenges for myself to work on with my psychologist along with reading 1 novel for pleasure! 

Take care!

Judi9877☺️💐🧶

Thank you for the tag @Judi9877  - what an incredible job! Well done. I love the way you are able to use knitting as therapy 🙂 Looking forward to seeing your new blanket!

I had a bit of a stressful few days, so today, I spent the morning with mindful LEGO building. I felt so much better after it.

Tag soon,

tyme

Former-Member
Not applicable

What a brilliant job you've made of this jumper @Judi9877! The tension is superb 🥇

Hi @tyme @Former-Member @Gwynn @Shaz51 @Daisydreamer @Eve7 @maddison and all knitters here. Thanks for the lovely comments on my projects by the way! It helps me with my motivation to continue working on them so thanks once again!

Last night, I finally completed the first section of my 12 ball Blanket using red and blue yarn of 270m per ball. It seemed to take ages to complete it (8 days) but I got there despite wanting to end the balls of wool early due to the length of the blanket - around 2m Iong. I felt slightly anxious and just wanted to hurry the knitting along as I felt the blanket was going to be too long and that I’d get bored of knitting it, however, I persevered and kept at it, reminding myself that Rome wasn’t built in a day and that I had set myself a goal of relaxing and taking things easy which meant no stressing and just taking my knitting at a relaxed pace knowing I’ll get to the end of the wool when it happens. I’ve got a goal thing going with my psychologist to try and relax and take things easy so I don’t get as stressed out as I have been and knitting this blanket is one of those goals. It doesn’t help that I’m no longer at Tafe - I’ve quit on campus studying for coronavirus fears and travel reasons along with MH issues - so I’m at a bit of a loose end until I find out if I’ve been accepted to the online course in April after I sit a bksb test next Tuesday afternoon which I’m a little worried about with the Maths component of it not being my strong point. Enough of me though! See below for the blanket photo!

F5054FD9-DFD7-43F9-8C2B-67C486E04662.jpeg

My next 2 colours to knit are yellow and green in a similar fashion to the colours above. Even though I’ve worked a blanket out to be 12 balls of 2 colours each at 20cm width, I’m thinking of purchasing another 6 balls of wool on Saturday to make the width 180cm across which means I’ll have 9 strips to sew making it an 18 ball blanket instead. I just have to keep motivated to do the knitting, which I’m hoping to do with forum members cheering me along! 

Talk later!

Judi9877☺️💐🧶

Hi @Judi9877 ,

Thanks for including me in the tag. 

I 💯 understand what you mean about impatient knitting. It's usually at the start, or the end of a project..I can't wait to finish. If I notice myself doing it, I try to remind myself to slow down & one stitch at a time. Then again, sometimes it's good to release some nervous 'tension' (pun not intended 😆) with fast aggressive crochet!!

Your blanket is going to look beautiful! And you are well on your way. Excellent work! 🙂 I think knitting is much harder than crochet & requires even more patience. Well done 👍

Woohoo @Judi9877 ! Looks incredible!

Thanks for sharing,

tyme

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance