Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: How do you motivate yourself to continue the fight when you have had enough?

@Hope4me wrote:

I must say I'm not enjoying this subject matter; it's a bit triggering. Might just leave things here if that's ok.

Oh God, I am really sorry! Sure thing, no more talk about this!

And I am certainly feeling much better after I discovered this forum, and began interacting with the awesome people on here! And of course, your words have inspired me a lot!

Actually, yesterday was my first day back at work after the Christmas break. I no longer feel stressed, because I know I won't be here for much longer. 3 more weeks (I finish on the 29th of January). It just so happens that 10 employees in my department have quit the job since September 2018. The attrition rate is really high. Not that I am concerned, but it does prove that I wasn't the only one unhappy with this place. Yes, my coping skills may not have been on par with others, which resulted in severe anxiety and panic attacks quite frequently. But the fact remains that it is a highly toxic workplace, and people are quitting left and right. Besides, one of the general managers who was sacked for supposedly no reason, is suing the company for unfair dismissal.

At the end of the day, most companies do not really care about its employees, because they are only concerned about making profits. Employees are replaceable anyway, aren't they? Just that this company took employee mistreatment to the extreme, to increase their profits and cut costs. I am glad that I am no longer part of all this madness at the workplace.

I am certainly very relieved, but also slightly worried about eventually finding another job. I am quite comfortably placed for several months with respect to finances, but I am still sometimes haunted by the memories of the time when I was jobless and nearly homeless because I couldn't afford to pay my rent. Hopefully, I should be able to secure a job before I run out of my savings. And my plan is to seek jobs in my profession for a maximum of two months, after which I'll take up any job that pays my bills and rent, while simultaneously continuing to look for jobs in my profession.

Re: How do you motivate yourself to continue the fight when you have had enough?

Hey @aficionado

Don't look now, but you're motivating yourself!!!! Yay! Go you!

Sorry, but I had to write that. lol Woman Very Happy

Knowing you're not the only one and a GM was also treated badly, makes all the difference eh? Take emotions and 'what-if's' out of the equation and everything makes sense.

There's a book by Robert Kiyosaki called; 'Rich Man, Poor Man' (not the novel by Irwin Shaw) and another called; 'If You Want to be Rich and Happy, Don't go to School'. Yeah, a mouthful that one. He's written around 15 or 20 books, but I've only read these ones.

His inspirational writings are from experience where he acknowledges how valuable every individual within his companies are no matter their station. In essence, he puts people before profits. (Gasp! from Wall Street lol) If you want to save money and read one or both, I understand there's free downloads, though I'm unclear on the details.

In 2012 he applied for Bankruptcy and critics went bolistic. If they look though, President Trump did this twice! Ha! My guess is Kiyosaki spent too much time writing instead of taking care of business. I might look up details when I get a chance.

Inspiration and motivation come from unexpected sources sometimes. His books were given to me by a friend when I wasn't interested by business in the least. However, his style, credo and passion struck a cord with me. Who would've thought there's a CEO out there encouraging employee's to seek promotion, do what there good at instead of whatever's going, improve themselves through higher education and provide quality training to complement their aspirations and needs of the company?

He says; "What's the point of putting someone with exceptional numbers skills in a physically laborious position? Identify their best qualities and find a job that suits, that way everyone benefits." This makes total sense. He insists that large companies have a financial and moral obligation to their community. Yeah idealistic, but so refreshing to read.

The key words for me were 'passion' and 'skill'. My new business allows me to express both. I'm glad I thought of this today. Feeling a bit scared at present, it's getting closer.

I really needed to write this. I hope you get something out of my ramblings friend.

Till next time...

Hope xo Heart

(BTW, please don't apologise ok. Identifying triggers is an experiencial process. You didn't do anything wrong. hug..)

@Hope4me

You are right, I ended up motivating myself without even realising it until you mentioned it!

Yes, the general manager was sacked just because she tried to make positive changes to the workplace, after she realised people were quitting very frequently due to a toxic work environment. So that is how it works at this place. The top management doesn't give a hoot about the work conditions. And if someone tries to make positive changes, they promptly get fired so that the toxic nature of the workplace is maintained.

Oh, I have actually read the book 'Rich dad, poor dad', a few years ago. I suppose it is the one in which he talks about the power of network marketing? At that time, the book didn't really strike a chord with me. But perhaps I should give it another read, since you speak quite highly of it. I have grown a lot as an individual now, and my way of thinking has changed. So I may be able to get the true essence of the book if I read it again. Thank you for the suggestion!

And you don't need to be scared. You seem like a highly thoughtful and sensible person with a good head on your shoulders. You will do great with your business!

Thanks @aficionado Woman Happy

Yes, you are motivating yourself; it came across loud and clear in your writing. How better to inspire than accept it's not your fault, you're not the only one and leaving is in your best interest. The rest will just work itself out.

I skimmed through 'Rich Dad' as I have qualifications in marketing. The other one really resonated with me though, so it might be an easier read. It could be an interesting challenge re your cultural values about school, it certainly was for me.

Your GM had the right idea of course, but if it's toxic at the top, the trickling down effect follows suit. I know this one well unfortunately. I'm wondering if the company's in financial crisis because getting rid of her was a gutsy yet irrational decision; her contract and portfolio would leave an enormous gap to fill.

So now you're motivated you can breathe a sigh of relief and settle down a bit. I'm pleased you got something out of my words.

Not long to go now eh. You'll have time to relax and unwind from your experiences and look forward to a fresh start down the track. I'm so happy for you...

Take care;

Hope xo Heart

@Hope4me

It is strange how we sometimes don't realise how much strength we possess within ourselves for motivation, until someone else points it out!

The company WAS in financial turmoil back in 2016. But the way the company is managing this, is by cutting down the benefits for the employees, forcing them to work extra hours, sacking people with higher salaries etc. in the name of cost-cutting. And not surprisingly, the company became profitable again in late 2018. How ironic, when no employee is happy working here!

And yes, I am motivated, thanks to you! And as relieved as I can ever be!

I am certainly looking forward to a fresh start once I return to Australia in mid-February!

Hello again @aficionado

I'm glad you're in good spirits. It's nice you're taking a break overseas. I hope you have a lovely time.

In a bit of a slump today. Might take a break myself I'm thinking. You take care...

Hope Heart

@Hope4me

I sincerely hope you feel better soon. My best wishes are with you. Take your break, but please come back stronger and happier!

Until then, take good care of yourself. And thank you for helping us all out by being such an inspiration!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance