Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Historylover
Senior Contributor

Trauma Bonding

Hello everyone,

It's been a few weeks since I was here.  I needed to clear my head and think because I am trying very hard to work my way out of my dilemma and looking everywhere for solutions -mainly to my own resources.

You may remember my earliest posts where I have been discussing my confusion regarding my duplicitious ex-psychiatrist.  It is still an ongoing saga and I am not pleased to say that I am still e-mailing him.  He set himself up to be my sole contact and the only one I could rely on and now I am trying to restructure my life and break the connection.  I don't know how to do it.  He has been my life - as was his intention - and I just don't know where to turn now.

I was browsing some posts and came across the term "Trauma Bonding".  I did a little bit of research on it and got a big 'aha!' moment.  I will be doing a bit of further research on this to see how I can go about breaking the bond.

I have tried to arrange to do some volunteer work but there is a big problem.  Perhaps someone may have an idea.  As I mentioned I have no family and no friends.  He was my sole contact.  So when applying for volunteer work I require referrees.  I don't have any so what do I do?  I have made a request of my new GP but have not received a reply.  Other than that how can an isolated person obtain references?  

Any ideas?

I hope all are well.  I am feeling extremely low and trying to just put one foot in front of the other - and find a way to resolve these seemingly insurmountable problems.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Trauma Bonding

@Historylover I have no insight for you into what has happened to you.. I'm truly shocked by some of your posts.

However, if you like English History, this guy's podcasts are great

https://thehistoryofengland.co.uk/

and if you are isolated, rather than volunteer if you don't have referees - join something. Like the local historical society?

good luck x

@SJT63   Why didn't I think of that?  Thankyou so much for your clear thinking - mine has gone a little foggy from all the trauma at the moment. 

Yes, I do love history but have been out of touch for many years.  I'll have to re-kindle my interest and I'll definitely check out your link.  

Thankyou SJT63.  It's nice to meet you!

P.S.  That link looks fascinating!  Tonight or tomorrow for sure.  Thanks again @SJT63.

Hi,

I recommend “Meetup”’ it’s an app that connects you to like minded people,

Great way to make friends. Maybe easier than volunteering at this moment!

@Historylover he has a side series just on the anglo saxons which I loved

@Historylover 

I'm sorry to hear you are feeling so isolated, without connections. It must be extra hard for you. I have found it extremely difficult to cope when my main support relationship has ended. (Both personal and professional.) I got through it by taking care of my "inner child." I cared for my emotions, and cared for myself as thought I was looking after "little me." 

As someone else mentioned, meetups is a good app to meet new people. 

Thankyou for the suggestion @Jo9.  I had looked into Meetup but without a car and so also unable to get out at night - for Astronomy eg., I am rather disadvantaged.  I am keeping it in mind though and looking for an area of interest nearby.  Thanks for your thoughts.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance