Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

N1812345
Contributor

Suffering

I am a healthcare worker who has suffered through the pandemic and am now struggling with myself.

I am also scared to reach out to providers because of the massive stigma in my industry..

Is there anyone in the same boat as me?

8 REPLIES 8
Bow
Senior Contributor

Re: Suffering

I’m not in the same boat, but wanted to say thank you 💕

Paulette
Senior Contributor

Hi @N1812345 ,

I don't work in Healthcare but reading what you have said pains me. We need to give so much more support for the amazing caring work you do for us all. I'm sad to think working in Healthcare, there's not enough care for you and support of mental health for healthcare workers. Please don't be scared on here as whatever we share is confidential and I do know it can be hard to share. Please know you are not alone and there is much here for you. Hugs and take care. It is so much better for you to speak up and I'm inspired by  your courage. I know myself when I stop speaking to others and start internalizing my pain I feel much more alone. I do hope I can help you. 

That’s really kind

Thank you x

Hi @N1812345 ,

Thankyou for your kind words. I am thinking of you. Please come and chat on here if you need support. Goodnight and take care. 

Thank you Pauline.

I am very new to the site and just figuring how to navigate it.

Thanks so very much for your kind words 

Hi @N1812345 ,

If you type @Paulette I can receive messages directly from you. I understand I am still finding my way and my IT skills are a bit ordinary. You have much support here. I do hope you are getting enough sleep. I worry about Healthcare workers knowing the demand for you and the long hours you work are.....so hard to even try to look after your mental health. 

hanami
Senior Contributor

Hi @N1812345 

It makes me both sad and mad that you feel like you can't reach out for help due to the stigma! Gosh how awful for you to feel that way. But I understand. I used to work in community mental health for our local health district which was closely attached to our local hospital. I heard a lot of negativity about mental health from many healthcare workers. It goes without saying that should not be happening in 2022, especially with the amount of burnout healthcare workers would be experiencing due to the last few years. 

It's great you found these forums. It's a great place to speak to people who understand and can support you. If you would like to speak to someone one on one, you could also speak to a Sane counsellor by contacting our helpline on 1800 187 263. 

Hope some of that helps

Hanami

Hi @N1812345,

The work you and all healthcare workers did during the pandemic was incredible - thank you all for your efforts. It's sad to read (but I think understandable) that the pandemic would have impacted a lot of healthcare workers in a variety of ways.

I can also understand what you are saying about your concerns of reaching out due to the stigma associated in your workplace. It's almost contradictory that a field that supports those struggling with mental health seems to have issue with those workers that may also need mental health support. It really seems like a shame - I would imagine who better to understand and empathise with someone around mental health than someone that works in the field.

My friend is a lawyer and she has sometimes wanted to reach out for professional mental health help. She also is hesitant to do so for the same reason you are which is a shame because people that work in such high pressured jobs probably need as much support if not more than others. 

As someone that has struggled with anxiety and depression over the years and also as someone that is a support carer for a family member with a serious mental health condition I would really encourage you despite your fears to get help. Nothing is more important than your own physical and mental wellbeing and you deserve to be helped and supported as I am sure you have helped and supported many in your career.

Warm wishes,

FloatingFeather

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance