Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Curious-4-Calm
New Contributor

Hello everyone, this is my first time here.

Hi everyone, I'm living with awful anxiety and ocd. I stumbled across this forum from an add. When I read about talking to people who "get it" I  thought this is something I gotta do. My mind always feels like it's in constant overdrive and I feel so anxious and stressed all the time. A lot of people don't understand when you try to explain it. Just needing some people in my corner and maybe this is the place to start. Thanks everyone for reading 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Hello everyone, this is my first time here.

Hi Curious-for-calm ❤, I hope you find lots of calm! I've struggled with anxiety for as long as I can remember. I've also been diagnosed with severe depression, PTSD multiple times, and mild OCD.
As a child I was punished for my anxious behaviour.
I'm 68 now. I've found the following things help me to manage anxiety:
1 Acknowledge and accept when anxiety is an issue,
2 Notice which parts of my body/mind are affected (eg clenched joints, IBS, poor posture, unfocused sight, shallow breathing, speech, brain fog)
3 Tai Chi, Yoga, meditation, counselling, SANE, support groups, journaling, art therapy, "me" time.
4 Friends and family members who listen, who give you space, who understand that you're dealing with a mental condition, that you're healing
5 Avoid those "rescuers" who want to make you into their very own "victim" project
6 Ignore those hurtful comments eg "I was like that and I just told myself to get over it".😭
Sorry I went on a bit too long --- but I'm a good listener 🙂👂👂
All the best,
Jenny4wren
🥺 tl:dr?

@Jenny4wren @Curious-4-Calm  Welcome to the forums.

Yes, so many of us here do get it when it comes to anxiety and additional issues, so you are in the right place.

@Jenny4wren  You have added a very impressive list thankyou.

Others will join in as they see your post, and add to the welcome here.

A forum tip. The @brings a dropdown, and is how we tag each other.

You might like to meet others on the Good morning  thread.

I hope to see you both around.

Hi there @Curious-4-Calm 
Welcome to the forums Heart We are glad to have you here! 

You are right. The forums are a safe and welcoming space for you to connect with and talk to peers who may have similar experiences to you Smiley Happy
To connect with others, you can participate in existing discussion threads within different forums topic areas and/or start a new discussion yourself 🌻  It may be helpful to take a read at our forums tips and tricks here as well Heart 🌸 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance