Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Mazzie
New Contributor

A big first step

Hi all. New to these forums. And this whole thing in general. 

I've finally been able to recognise, not only that I'm struggling, but also that I can't fix it on my own. 

Talking to people about my mental health, feelings etc is really hard for me due to a traumatic childhood. So I figured I could start here, get it out there before my visit to my Dr this week. A practise session as such. 

I hope to hear from other people who struggle, and who struggled to admit they weren't ok!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: A big first step

Hi @Mazzie 

Welcome to the SANE forums! It's great to have you here and thanks for telling the community a bit about yourself.   I'm sure the forum members will be able to offer you support, information and connection.

I'm the moderator on duty right now.   Feel free to ask the SANE forum team or the members if you need help with how to use the forum. You might like to check out the Guidelines as they can be pretty useful in understanding how it all works  https://saneforums.org/t5/help/faqpage#community-guidelines

Take care.

Whitehawk

Welcome @Mazzie ,

Im so glad you have braved it to speak out and reach out here. You are definitely NOT alone in how you feel. I struggled for a long time before I accepted that I wasn't okay. I was seen as so capable on the outside, yet I was dying inside.

After realising i was not travelling ok and I couldn't continue this way, I reached out. Even after reaching out, it took some time before I was ready to tackle my challenges head on. I took a leap of faith and engaged in group therapy even though I was so dead against it.

It has taken time, but I am so glad I made the first step - the very first step that you are making right now.

It's okay not to feel okay. 

BPDSurvivor

Thanks so much. 

I'm still a bit hesitant on the talking thing. I've always just kind of dealt with things on my own. But the last couple of years have been hard. And my mum has bipolar, so I know i have an increased risk of mental illness. Unfortunately her illness really tarnished my view of things and has affected my ability to admit I have a problem that I need help with. As kids, we were dragged into a lot of things we shouldn't have been. But I think I've finally realised, not getting help is what will send me down that road. Which is the road I've been trying to avoid.... go figure right!? 

But seeing my dr this week and see what I can do as a first step and go from there 🙂 

Welcome @Mazzie 

well done on taking the first big step and joining the forum community.... hopefully you will find some answers to any questions you have.... you will definitely get lots of support and encouragement in good and bad times 

feel free to take a wander around .... join in anywhere you like.... 

you may not always get an answer straight away... but someone will be around somewhere... sometime for a chat etc 

@Mazzie  Welcome.

Well done on taking the first step. It’s not an easy step, but I believe, one in the right direction. It’s takes time to feel comfortable with a therapist, and opening up about our personal struggles, is not easy. Go gently, at your pace.

I’m glad you have found the forums, you will be heard and understand here.

Take care.

@Mazzie , that's fantastic! As it has been said, taking the first step is the hardest. 

We are here to support you.

BPDSurvivor

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance