Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Career Chat // How to survive a new job // Friday, 23 Sep. 12pm AEST

The other question I have is a job has been advertised that's right up my alley. I'm well qualified for the position however an organizational health assessment is required. I've got no worries about this however I have good reason to believe that I'll be rejected because of bipolar which is in remission and my psychiatrist believes may have burnt out. In another 14 months if I remain in "remission " he is prepared to state that I no longer have bipolar. I've already been rejected for a job because of this without I may add, having any contact with my treating professionals. Same organisation involved with and I've been a long term employee with them.
Yes I am frustrated!

Firstly congratulations on your new job @Kurra!

12 hours is a very long shift I'm going to try to brainstorm and think of some good tips for you ...

1. Ensure regular breaks are a part of the deal (if you need them)  and your medication are falling in line with when your shift begin and end 

2. If you need isolation/social interaction... whichever you need ... Make sure it's part of the agreement you have as this will be conducive to your mental health

3. Are you disclosing? If so have a MH plan, HR can be of great help. If not, they need to get onto that by law.

4. Listen to your favourite relaxation CD, make sure you take regular lunch breaks, is there a park? Use it (exercise produces endorphins)

5. Can you find a mentor or someone who has been there and done that, can be your greatest asset when starting a new job.

..... That's a start 🙂

At the moment @Renstar I have exemption from Centrelink for looking for work until Feb which means I have no access to any help from the job networks. I am guessing it will take every bit of that for me to be remotely in a place to take on that level. I will check in from time to time as I have questions. Thanks for the support with this. 

Hi @Kurra I'm hearing your frustration!!!! Smiley Sad ....  The stigma around bipolar is very prevalent

I know you don't have a problem disclosing however if you were that close to being regarded as not having bipolar is there really a need ?  Taking into account the possible repercussions even though they are illegal ...  The equal opportunity act means you cannot discriminate based on mental illness or any other disability.

And employers know that.

Hi @Renstar
Thanks for your reply.

I've already disclosed and it's not an issue. I also know quite a few of the people already there from a long way back so that makes the transaction easy. It's a long time since I've done graveyard shifts so that might be an initial challenge for someone already past official retirement age. I'm already quite familiar with a lot of the work that will be involved.
I've just got to get used to the changing work hours pretty quick smart.

We have come to the end of today's forum and it's been really interesting thank you to @Former-Member And @Kurra  for contributing.

Overall when starting a new job you need to take into account your own needs, the workplaces needs and keep in mind how ready you are for this new job.

More than likely if you're keen to start and if you're comfortable interacting in the wider world you probably are ready you just need to  get your workplace situation right , your tool kit and some supports however if you don't feel comfortable interacting with others maybe it's time to wait  ...

In terms of disclosing your mental illness you are under no obligation to do so discuss with  tell him you trust what your options are and make choices based on medium to long term needs .

I wish you a great weekend and I'll be back next week ! 😊

It's a pleasure @Former-Member

Check in with organisations that will let you do their programs  I think  MIND has a good program,  also the Salvation Army at the brotherhood of St Lawrence they have programs that you can join in with and I believe you don't have to be officially ready for work I may be wrong but it's worth checking ...

Wish you all the best  look forward to chatting maybe on another forum sometime in the future ....  As far as I'm concerned this forum can be part of your journey towards eventually getting back into work, hopefully we can be a support and a source of information ...

Also feel free to let us know if you want to discuss a particular topic we're always looking for topics of interest for our contributors ...

Take care 😊

Hi @Kurra ...  You really are amazing I can't believe you are passed retirement in age and taking on this big workload however you sound like the sort of person who likes a challenge and enjoys work .

Really ... There is no way to get into it quick smart as you say, you're going to have to give yourself the time to adjust, make sure you're taking extra good care of your mental health and keep talking with a support person just so you're checking in with yourself making sure you're doing the right thing for YOU.

It's the one organisation, just a different work area so the organisation already has it on record. It's a big scary word eh?
I'm also very aware of the Discrimination Act however this can easily be avoided by stating that the inherent nature of the work could put my health (mental ) in jeopardy or the very least at risk. Semantics is incredibly useful in avoiding legal obligations.
If I do choose to apply I also need to be prepared the high possibility of a negative response. It would be tempting to appeal on the grounds of discrimination however the likelihood of the WHS Act being invoked is highly probable. Yes the work could well be extremely stressful and at times distressing but I have not had any problems with this type of work previously.

Thanks again @Renstar. Sorry I couldn't join the discussion earlier because of.....wait for it....work. 😆
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance