Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Career Chat // Handling rejection when job hunting // CLOSED

When you're applying for dozens of jobs, it's highly likely that you will experience some rejection during the job hunting process.

This can be tough; putting yourself out there can make you feel vulnerable, so it's only natural to feel a sense of disappointment when an employer lets you know they won't be progressing your application.

This week we look at managing rejection and building resiliency to carry on the job hunting.

Join Ostara Australia's  @Debstar from 10am AEDT to share your experiences managing job rejections and learn some strategies to get you through.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Career Chat // Friday 19 Feb 10am AEDT // Handling rejection when job hunting

Hi All,

Welcome to the forum today. 

As @NikNik mentioned, it is normal to experience rejection and the disappointment that so often goes with this when putting yourself out there and job hunting.  Lets face it, there is a lot of competition out there.

Learning to not take in personally and maintaining hope and positivity during this time is a real skill. 

Join us today to discuss ways to handle rejection and maintain our positivity during this time.

Look forward to chatting with you. Debstar 🙂

Re: Career Chat // Friday 19 Feb 10am AEDT // Handling rejection when job hunting

Through no fault of my own I've been on and off Centrelink since I was 20. At least when I got interviewa I knew I was in with a chance. I found applying for jobs and not getting any re

I found not getting any response was worse. You had no idea why you were rejected do u had to make it up in your mind. Yeah interviews are tough. You feel u have to be bubbly and outgoing even if you're not, be someone else. You've jyst got to keep going

Thanks for your contribution to our discussion @Peter_Pan78

With interviews, yes it is in your interest to appear confident (our topic next week) and that can be exhausting, especially if, as you say, you feel you have to pretend to be someone else.  We will be chatting about that more next week when we cover how to appear confident in an interview. If it ok with you, I will keep your comment close by and address it in more detail next week.

On the topic of rejection, so true! When we don’t get any response, especially when we have sent multiple applications, it can make us feel like crap. To put in all of this effort and to have no idea why we haven’t been successful in obtaining an interview can be really disheartening, bring down our confidence and self esteem and make it increasingly hard to motivate ourselves to apply for more roles.  So how do we deal with this? 

Well the first thing I try to remember is that it is not personal.  There is lots of competition out there, and some companies are better than others at responding. Believe me, if I could change it, and have them all responding, I would. But unfortunately that is out of my or any of our control, all we can control is our reaction and how we respond and think. 

So what we tell ourselves at this time is really critical. With each rejection, or each day / week / month not hearing back, we can tell ourselves “it’s not personal, something will come through, it’s a matter of time” etc.. or we can tell ourselves something negative such as “I will never get a job, there is no point applying, this is a waste of time, I am not good enough/ smart enough..etc.”  You know those thoughts.. the one’s that make us feel worse by the minute and have us sinking further and further down a negative spiral.

Don’t get me wrong, I have been there, and believe me, I know how it feels. Whilst I am suggesting that you choose a different thought process, I also think it is important to temporarily let yourself feel sad, disappointed or frustrated etc.. (honour your emotions), and then move forward.  You could say to yourself “ok I feel crap, I am going to let myself really feel it, then I am going to write in a journal, talk to a health professional, friend, do some art work (art therapy), go for a long walk (to get it out) etc… and then I will move forward".

Perhaps you can analyse what is not working and other ways you can increase the likelihood of gaining an interview. You could ask yourself questions like – Am I applying for the most suitable jobs? Does the job I am applying for match my experience?  Are there other places I can apply?  How can I differentiate myself? (You can refer to our forum from 12th Feb- how to stand out with a potential employer and 22nd Jan- Creative ways to access the hidden job market for some other ideas).

The other thing is remembering that it is a numbers game.  The more jobs you apply for, the more likely it is that something will come through soon.  Hang in there, others in similar situations to you have found work, you will too 🙂

Would love to hear more thoughts on this topic 🙂

Hi again,

Another tip is to always leave room for plan B.  By that I mean, don’t pin your hopes on one job in particular, believing it is the perfect fit for you.  If that job doesn’t come through, it is then very likely you will get down. It can be a useful idea to pursue multiple opportunities, even when the others don’t appeal as much.

Also, if possible, try not to focus on the past and the opportunities that haven’t come through. Instead, put your energy and focus on times in your life when you have succeeded. Remembering and focussing on those times can  help you feel more optimistic and remind you that something good will soon be on its way.

Just in case you don’t know (or have temporarily forgotten), you are not alone.  Many more people are turned down than those who land themselves jobs.  Just knowing that can help to keep the job hunt in perspective.

Would love to hear more of your ideas 🙂

On the flip slide I had a positive experience with an interview. Four years I had an interview for a job with a disability services organisation. One question they asked was: 'A person you are caring for suddenly show signs that they might be choking. What do you do?' I wasn't totally sure what I would do so I was honest and said I don't know, get a more experienced staff member? I thought I'd flunked the interview, so I was shocked when they offered me the job. I guess they must have valued my honesty and perhaps being able to know my limitations was important when caring for people (making out you know when you don't can be dangerous). Four years on I'm still there and most importantly loving my job which enriches my life every day. I guess I was the right person for the job after all. 😉

@Debstar yes I'm fine with you using my comments for future reference 😊

Hi agan @Peter_Pan78

Thanks for sharing your positive interview experience, and the question that you thought had stumpted you, and how being honest, real and knowing your limitations had worked in your favour. Must have been such an exciting time when you found out you got the role, especially since it seemed you were not expecting to get it.   How wonderful that you got the job, and are still there and loving it four years later. I love hearing stories like this.

Just shows, all you need is one successful application, and one good interview. 

So hang in there if you are not there yet.

And if and when you feel ready or close to ready to finding work, keep rolling out those applications and remember rejection is not personal, and something so many of us experience.  And don't for get it is a numbers game.  You will get there.

For extra support in the job search, you may also wish to contact a job network provider, such as Ostara Australia. We specifically help people with mental health issues to obtain work, and will support you along the way.  Whether you find work through us, another organisation, or do it on your own, keep your chin up and keep going.  Something good is on its way for you.

Next weeks topic is how to appear confident at an interview. Look forward to connecting with you then.

Have a lovely weekend and chat soon. Debstar 🙂

@Debstar Feel free to ask me more questions regarding this topic if you need to next week when you're on again. I enjoy using my journey to help others 😊😊😊
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance