Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

CLOSED // Topic Tuesday // Finding the joy in Christmas

Christmas... the time of year where emotions can be up, down, around and around at any given point.

For some it can be the most enjoyable part of the year - sunshine, family, food and a break from work. For others it can trigger some significant lows.

The aim of Topic Tuesday is to find the joy in Christmas. 'Joy' can mean different things to different people

Keep Calm and merry on.jpg

29 REPLIES 29

Re: LIVE NOW // Topic Tuesday // Finding the joy in Christmas

So lets just get right to it: what do you consider a joyous Christmas?

Hi everyone!

I'm a bit nervous I'm behind the Christmas 8 ball already. I haven't done any planning yet Smiley Surprised

The top 3 things that makes christmas a joyful one for me are:

- children (I love the excitement they have around christmas

- sunshine (can't control that one!)

-putting up the christmas tree (which we are doing this weekend!)

Welcome Coffeegirl

Thanks for sharing 🙂

Hi everyone *waves*

My joyous christmas involves -

Food

Food

Food

Just kidding (well sort of!). I like at Christmas time being able to cook food that takes a bit more time, that we wouldn't usually have.

I like writing christmas cards (I'm old school)

I also love wrapping presents (not the buying part though...)

Hi @Eagle

You're welcome to come cook at my place if you find cooking 'joyous'!

For me, a joyous christmas involves:

- Some form of game (backyard cricket etc)

- Carols (though best I don't sing them)

- Having the family in one place

Who else is around tonight - @PeppiPatty @Appleblossom ?

@coffeegirl and @Eagle

Do either of you feel like you're on track to having your version of a joyous Christmas?

I'm a 76 year old and there is no joy in Christmas at this stage of life.  There are wonderfull memories of Christmases when the children were young; but all that changes in later life.

I live (exist) beside an illegal boarding kennel and sometime next week the first of the whining, yelping, howling and barking will begin.  This will continue, as always, for the holiday period.  I have been writing letters and making phone calls seeking help for three years without success.  Today I spent three and a half hours on the phone and am now extremely frustrated and depressed.  The Executive Officer, Local Laws, of the council recognises that this has destroyed my mental and physical health but tells me that I should find some way to live with it.   

In my present mental state I see two options: The first is to join the 2500 or so other Australians who suicide each year. The second is to "sort out" my neighbor and spend the rest of my life in prison. My experience on the telephone this afternoon suggests that there are no other options. 

I'll now spend a few hours in mindfullness exercises and try to survive for a while longer.   One must keep trying, but hope can be very difficult to maintain when one is so isolated.

Wellllllll... I have done the stuff I like to do..

I've done all my Christmas cards and they have been sent off.

I have chosen what food I'd like to cook.... but I haven't done the part I don't like... facing the shops. This time of year, the whole process of going to the shops is quite overwhelming. Parking... argh... crowds of people pushing... argh.

Actually.. same with presents.... I have picked up a couple of things.. but haven't done the bulk of my present shopping

Backyard cricket isn't really my thing @NikNik - I'm too un-co for that. A few years ago we had a go at putting up a vollyball net - that was pretty fun!

I'm not sure about my 'joyous' christmas. I think I will be spending most of the day by myself. We have a dinner planned, but I'm not sure what to do with myself during the day.

Seems to happen as everyone grows up and gets married - have to split time between different groups.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance