Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Alicia
Contributor

OCD and anti-psychotic medication

have you noticed an increase in serious OCD symptoms with an anti-psychotic medication?
Does anyone have experience with someone going off this particular medication to try a newer one that may not have these side effects?
7 REPLIES 7

Re: OCD and anti-psychotic medication

Hi @Alicia

Welcome to the Forums – it’s great to have you be a part of our community.

I am no expert on anti-psychotic medication, but I’m wondering whether you have asked the doctor/psychiatrist about this side effect? I can only imagine that experiencing severe OCD symptoms as a side effect must be very distressing, so it would definitely be worth having a conversation about this with the prescribing doctor to see what can be done. You could also try Medicines Line and see if they can offer any advice on the subject. Their number is 1300 633 424.

There are a few members on here who have experience with psychosis, from both a lived experience and carers perspective. I wonder if @kenny66  @soul  @Shadow  @Linmerc  @Louise @Annie2  @Sheybridge  @ivana  @Daisy  @3forme  @Paxhave ever encountered something like this before?

Also just a reminder for all to be mindful not to mention specific medication names and dosages during our discussions (for more info on this, please check out the community guidelines).

Thank you again for your post Alicia. Hopefully these forums can be a place where you can connect and share with others who are walking a similar journey to yourself. Welcome again and look forward to ‘seeing’ you around the place!

All the best,
Mosaic.

My son has been on anti-psychotic medication for a year. Our initial fear was that he would put on a lot of weight and lose motivation, as they are the two most common side-effects for young people on this drug. Thus I joined him in cutting out bread, cake, biscuits out of our diet and encouraged him to exercise as much as possible. Thankfully he has not put on any weight at all...and he has also gotten his drivers license as well as attending college. However, I have at times been concerned that he has been overly obsessive about his physique, dieting, body building, even having cold showers and baths to burn off fat. His psychiatrist isn't worried about it because it doesn't seem to be causing him any distress. And he also plays computer games obsessively. However, I think he has always had OCD tendencies; it was also a condition which plagued me for years.

Thanks Louise. I'm going to talk to my sons doctor this week. He's a new doctor so he doesn't know my son well and it's hard to know what is a side effect. That's what I'm trying to work out. My son does a restock in his brothers shop a few nights a week and it takes him 6 or more hours to do what should take 2-3 hours - so, the OCD is interfering somewhat. Thanks again. I hope things stay good for your son.

Thanks for your reply. The OCD can be very hard for him doing everyday tasks. I'm going to talk with his doctor. Thanks for the phone number and other contacts
Alicia

My son experienced severe ocd when he came back from hospital after 10 days back on his antipsychotic meds. He was not happy with any form of uncleanliness or clutter in the house and moved the whole house around including the family kitchen, bathroom and laundry! Very hard to live with but we all knew it would wear off. And it did after a couple of days. I believe its was a sign of getting control back in his mind and the one way of expressing it was to create order in his environment. He still does and always has had a tendancy to exhibit this orderly behaviour but I can admit that I am a neat clean freak of a mother and have raised him so I suppose he gets a little from me! ( just a little 🙂 Its not such a bad thing in small doses if it doesnt impact the whole house and at least we can say he finally contributed to the house work! Sorry for dry humour but thats what we have to do to keep stable ourselves!

Thanks for your contribution. It's great that your son can manage his OCD symptoms. My son is managing sort of, but has had these symptoms for about 3 years. Unfortunately it doesn't help him to clean up because He is afraid to touch anything 'dirty' or 'dusty' He wears goggles when doing any of these jobs because he is afraid he will get something in his eyes. I think talking again to his doctor is my next step, but thanks - it's good to hear other people's experiences.
Themeda

Hi, my step son had a number of delusions, but unfortunately his father didn't believe in medication.  The delusions got very bad and placed my new born grand daughter in danger, so I had to ask them to leave.  So, whilst the medications may have side effects, so does not taking them . 

sorry I couldn't be of more help. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance