Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

DGoldman
Senior Contributor

Doing ok and then bang !

So you’re going along, trying really hard to keep it together, trying to go about your day, school, work, whatever it is you do.

then wham ! Something will

happen to derail you and you fall apart. Usually it’s somethimg really small. My supervisor asked me ‘how’s it going?’ (Meaning how is work going) And it made me burst into tears because it’s not going well at all.

does anyone else get reactions like this? How do you cope? Do you have any strategies? I’ve been given sedatives to go with my antidepressants but they don’t have any effect on me. 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Doing ok and then bang !

My friend I really don’t know I haven’t 

experience that type but my heart 

goes out to you.  Usually what happen 

to me I begin to feel lonely inside and 

become depressed for no good reason 

at all.  It’s like I just don’t feel like I

belongs any where.  It is a very lonely 

place to be when you are around 

peope and you still feel like you are 

by yourself.

It can feel so unnerving to experience that out of the blue @DGoldman. Often there's a lot happening under the surface that we're not quite ready to work through and sometimes it all gets too much to carry, resulting in everything sort of spilling out in a way that feels out of control. Is that something you can relate to?

It's really scary when that happens as it can feel like it's come out of nowhere. For some people, they find it useful to put together what's called an "early warning signs plan". This helps with noticing those small changes along the way so that you can jump in early and prevent things getting to a really full on space. Black dog have an example of that here.

Having a few go to coping strategies for dealing with strong emotions can be useful too. A few weeks back we had a discussion on coping with distress which has lots of stratgies worth trying out too.

Hope there's something useful there 🐼

@Margot wrote:

It can feel so unnerving to experience that out of the blue @DGoldman. Often there's a lot happening under the surface that we're not quite ready to work through and sometimes it all gets too much to carry, resulting in everything sort of spilling out in a way that feels out of control. Is that something you can relate to?

It's really scary when that happens as it can feel like it's come out of nowhere. For some people, they find it useful to put together what's called an "early warning signs plan". This helps with noticing those small changes along the way so that you can jump in early and prevent things getting to a really full on space. Black dog have an example of that here.

Having a few go to coping strategies for dealing with strong emotions can be useful too. A few weeks back we had a discussion on coping with distress which has lots of stratgies worth trying out too.

@Margot This is great esp. the coping with distress link thank you so much 🙂

@Margot wrote:

hello @DGoldman how are things going for you?

Not so well. How does everyone deal with feeling overwhelmed? I was doing okay earlier this week but now everything has just blown up. 

i use distractions, the helplines, and lots and lots of breathing and taking things one step at a time @DGoldman
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance