Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Dothemo
Senior Contributor

Difficult functioning outside of the house

Hi folks,

I have this strange agoraphobia where it is difficult to get out of the house and function. Like when I'm out, my mind resists it's so weird. Does anyone else get this?
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Difficult functioning outside of the house

Hi @Dothemo

I know @Jacques also has trouble getting out of the house. Maybe he can contribute?

hi @Dothemo,

My name is Jacques, i have had agoraphobia for 16 years, i am unable to function outside the house at all, i get a tight chest, sweating and i detatch from my surroundings, it gets to the point where i nearly pass out because of the hyper ventalating.

It is a reaction to a perceived threat, the mind tries to protect it's self, well that is how i feel it works. how lolng have you suffered from this condition?

hope we can chat more about it.

Jacques

Thankyou Jahlia,

Hi Jacques , thank you for sharing your story. I have suffered from this since about October, when I finished tapering off my benzodiazepine class medication. It seems to be worse in the morning and better at night. Has anything helped your agoraphobia?

Oh apologies I forgot to use the notification symbol. @Jacques

Hi @Dothemo,

yes, you wil lfind you will become more anxious as you come off any medication that increases your serotonin levels, this symptoms will go after a while. i think it would be advisable to see your doctor if the symptoms become too overwhelming. 

yes, i find i am triggered at certain times of the day. it is quite common to wake up with a panic attack for me.

unfortunatly no, i have found i have let it go on so long, too long and it has a grip on me now. my advice to you is to fight the urge to stay at the house, things will only get worse if you give into it. the longer you are away from people the harder it is to break the cycle. 

i hope this helps, i am only too happy to keep chatting to you if it helps, i have this year started going out once or twice a week if i can manage it. i struggle with it every time. but i need to break the cycle too.

take care

Jacques

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance