Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Former-Member
Not applicable

Dealing with someone with PTSD?

Hi,

It was recently suggested to me by a guest that I might be inexperienced in dealing with PTSD sufferers. The person who suggested it identifies with this diagnosis. To be honest my first reaction was to become defensive. Now I am wondering if PTSD sufferers do need special considerations. I have given in too much to an anxious family member in the past and it was not helpful. Though now I do worry that I have become to self defensive.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Dealing with someone with PTSD?

Hi @Former-Member

What a great post. I think we all often wonder/worry whether how we are working with people is having a positive or negative impact.

I can only share my own experience, which is that everyone is different. Two people with the same diagnosis doesn't necessarily mean they will respond positively or negatively to the same thing. I think this is the challenge with mental illness more broadly; no two people will respond the same way, so it can take awhile for some to get effective help (as opposed to 2 people who break the same bone will have the same treatment, and most likely the same outcome!)

What I have learnt though, often if you have good intent, most people are understanding.

In terms of PTSD specifically, I have learnt alot about 'trauma informed care'. Here are some resources from the Adults Surviving Childhood Abuse website. Even though the org focuses on childhood abuse and trauma - I think the principles are relevant for all instances of trauma. 

I know one of our members @kristin is particularly passionate about this topic - you might be able to find some of her posts in the Lived Expeirence Forum about it.

I'm not sure if you're referring to being 'inexperienced' in a professional setting or not, but either way, these resrouces might be helpful.

I also noticed in another thread here started by @Bradam asking for insight about PTSD - maybe you could both find this information helpful.

Hope this helps!

Nik

HI @NikNik

Thanks for this very comprehensive response. I am not professional but maybe do not like to provide too much personal information especially when it concerns others

The link you providedi has very helpful fact sheets and videos.

Cheers

Hi @Former-Member

When I read your post, I wondered what was going on for your friend to suggest that? If someone is feeling upset about something, it can be easy to identify a person (or their lack of experience) as the problem. I think there's always more to it. Perhaps they're not feeling understood or supported. It might be helpful to ask your friend about their experience and what they're needing at this point.

It's kind of like saying that only a doctor gets someone who has cold. Just because they have the expertise doesn't mean they can help everyone who has a cold. Ultimately as @NikNik touched on, everyone has different needs.

Hi @BeHappy,

Thanks I think you are right that maybe there was more going on. I will try to have a conversation when we meet up next. It was not really a problem at the time. Just was echoing in my head and wanted to try to get a clearer understanding of PTSD. 

Cheers.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance