Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Against the odds.

@scout1572 

Your reply put a smile on my face this morning. I made sure to reply properly to you this morning, apologies for it taking so long to do so.

I can really empathise with your sentiment of communication being challenging at times. It is for myself as well.

"Dont beat yourself up. I'm not perfect, the people you speak with are not perfect... and sadly, regardless of roles, people can get triggered and react to things they should really let slide. Human nature i guess. Has been my experience."

absolutely. I accepted that my feedback would have been confronting and I didn't enjoy writing it. at the time, I was still in an-overstimulated state and I've learnt from that experience. I have no expectations anymore on how responsive this forum should be. If I require support quickly, there are other options that I can utilise fortunately.

"So i can be VERY intense, and coupled with the ability to speak quickly and quite loudly, has caused me nothing but drama as mu health declines."

I can also relate to this. I can also be very intense at times. I don't often raise my voice but certainly in trying to feel validated, I can be very intense and this is something that I'm working on addressing. I'm sorry to hear that your health is declining. Not sure if you're referring to your mental health or physical health, but my mental health in some ways is better than it's ever been, but in other ways, it's also declined. My concentration span has decreased, in spite of not using maladaptive coping mechanisms to deal with my symptoms anymore, such as using substance. This has been quite concerning for me, but I'm hopeful that with some appropriate diagnosis and medication, as well as returning to the workforce hopefully by the start of June latest, that it will improve.

"I have no solution to this other than, like yourself to have some self awareness... and i know to not do things when i feel my capacity to remain calm is impacted."

This is something that I need to keep working on. I wish I'd received the pre-screening results for ASD, 20+ years ago instead of about 5 weeks ago, but it is what it is.

"Just wanted to share some of my experiences and let you know i feel your pain. Sometimes better out than in is good in regards to feelings... but choosing your moments and environment can be helpful."

I appreciate you taking the time to convey what you are doing to be better at communication and it sounds like you're doing great. I need to work on the areas that you've shared with me and I appreciate the solidarity around this stuff, because it really is a challenge for me as well when I get over-stimulated or triggered.

You are very kind and visa versa, if you feel the need to speak to someone who also struggles with some similar symptoms at times, you're welcome to tag me into a comment of yours. I'm not always overstimulated, it's just been a very challenging couple of months for me 😉

Hey @Upndownnupndown youre expressing yourself well and many here will relate and connect.

Being hung up abruptly be a service would trigger a trauma response in me too. You can write a complaint about that call if you know the time you called and provide them some details.

Ive found sane quite good at hearing trauma. Not invalidating ur experience but personally my experience. No place is perfect though and I'm so sorry you had terrible interactions with clibicans or interactions that just didn't see you and care for U. No one deserves that.

You are well within your rights to criticise systems and people who have let you down. The system is broken.

Only thing I've learnt is not to judge drs by they're online profile but try and find out through word of mouth who is good. There are some truly awful and greedy operators out there in the MH field.

I believe you and stand with you. In 

you have lots of knowledge experience and intuition and are strong as well, using what you've been through to make progress while still standing up for yourself to get good care. Proud of you.

@EternalFlower 

thank you for your reply 🙂

I have no intention of making a complaint about being hung up on earlier. Considering that the phone call was as long as it was, the overstimulated state that I fell into when broaching the many sources of trauma throughout my life... the operator made the right decision in my opinion. I bear no hard feelings about it. It didn't trigger a trauma response as such, more so just feelings of embarrassment and shame, of which I was able to work though due to now knowing that I'm on the Austism spectrum and that emotional dysregulation is unfortunately a part of this caper. That and getting "triggered" by things that remind me of trauma in my past, or my primary caregiving abuser.

I have more coping skills these days. We all have our skillsets and limits, and only the most experienced complex trauma therapists are capable I've found, of being able to offer safe boundaries for me during such a call (for both parties), so that the call doesn't get derailed due to overstimulation/distress. It is what it is.

On both occassions that I've called and spoken to SANE peer support workers, they've been very empathetic, validating and compassionate... It has really pained me to give the feedback that I've given back. It isn't a crime to not have known how to handle the deluge of trauma and overstimulated distress in the best way for us both. They were very supportive! I'm just not the average person and given the amount of trauma in my life, I really do require structured boundaries when it comes to these sorts of calls so that the call doesn't decend into an exchange that isn't productive or healthy to either party. Like I said though, no hard feelings.

I agree with what you've said and yes I'm paraphrasing here, about the MH field having many whom proport to be there for their patients best interests, whilst actually with covert self-serving interests. Again, I'm not going to recite specific instances of this playing out in my life but it has occurred time and time again until around 2 years ago when I made it clear when I first met my current therapist, that taking advantage of this new patient in any way, wasn't going to be allowed and that basically if they were narcissistic, that I'd prefer to be told that I should keep looking for the right fit. I've had to learn the hard way that we need to be our own strongest support structure. It provides the foundation needed to assertively advocate for ourselves. When paying large amounts of money for a hr of a person's time, we have every right to do so.

"I believe you and stand with you. In 

you have lots of knowledge experience and intuition and are strong as well, using what you've been through to make progress while still standing up for yourself to get good care. Proud of you."

Thank you. I'm also proud of everyone else including yourself whom has found the strength to swim against the tide of the fallout from trauma , as well as the often sub-standard deliverance of duty of care within in the MH field. Sure, some have had great experiences when accessing help from this field, but for anyone with more than just depression/anxiety, as horrible and debilitating as these two things can be, some have had nothing but problems accessing help, my late brother and myself being two examples. Three including the gentleman who commented on my thread last night.

Take care and thanks once again for your reply.

Hey @Upndownnupndown I haven't used the peer support service myself tb fully honest , just the support line. I agree with everything you said.

Few people can handle trauma and that includes mh professionals. In my 2.5 years in the system I've encountered probably 50 mh professionals including nurses on wards, social workers, OTs, psychiatrists and their registrars ....

I'd say about 5 were safe people to confide trauma .

Other than that they've treated me and other consumers really badly.

The spark for me is the peers I've met in these places , sometimes I got more from them than the clinical team !

I hope U are doing ok and thank you for sharing with me.

hi @Upndownnupndown 

Thank you for your message. glad it helped.

More people just need to be honest and open, as it helps remove anxiety and worry.

these are just my thoughts.

hope you are having a great day  :0)

Hi @EternalFlower, Thank you for your reply today 🙂

How are you going?

(apologies for the long reply, don't feel the need to address what is contained within other than to share how you're going, as I don't want you to feel obligated to do so. we all have our own heavy bundles to carry).

It turns out that I got my wires crossed; it is the helpline that I've called a couple of times a couple of weeks ago now, not their peer support service. I'm due to have a chat with a SANE employee in a week or so around the peer guidance/support service or whichever its called, the service where they pair a person up with the one person. I feel that participating in that would be a safer bet for both the person who I potentially give it go with, and for myself due to once the story has been shared, that the traumatising elements of it can be laid to rest and the person and I can focus on working through current symptoms and towards the future that I envisage (if I decided to go ahead with the opportunity).

Unfortunately due to being deceived and abused from such a young age by my female primary caregiver in such a consistent and covert way (I refuse to refer to her as my mother anymore), as well as other forms of abuse experienced during my formative years and unfortunately also at times throughout my adult life, as well as being deceived by the MH field in the way of pretending time after time to have my best interests in the forefront of performing their duties yet whom actually had an agenda which was to serve their own selfish interests (not referring to GP practitioners here), too many times to wish to recount for the past 20 years or so (until about 2 years ago), I unfortunately have good reason to be distrusting of basically everyone until proven otherwise.

"Few people can handle trauma and that includes mh professionals. In my 2.5 years in the system I've encountered probably 50 mh professionals including nurses on wards, social workers, OTs, psychiatrists and their registrars ....

I'd say about 5 were safe people to confide trauma ."

to meet another person who has experienced prolonged difficulties in seeking the specific sort of validation for trauma that trauma survivors need in order to really make some inroads out the other side of the constant reliving of said trauma, is sadly not a surprise to me. I'm sorry to hear that you've not felt safe enough to talk about your trauma with many at all, this sentiment really resonates with me.

Being male and experiencing such a debilitating and humiliating form of abuse throughout my formative years (and well into my adult life, even though I left home at 18), isn't exactly the sort of conversation that males would feel safe let alone comfortable sharing with their close friends or with anyone for that matter, male or otherwise. as a society, we're unfortunately still worlds away in my opinion from the average male feeling comfortable talking to their friends about this type of abuse. The stigma around males talking about this form of abuse in particular, is imo humongous.

"Other than that they've treated me and other consumers really badly."

Now this is the mental health field that I've come to know so well, even if the exception to the rule was to be listened to regarding severe symptoms at the time, medicated appropriately for the symptoms and having been treated with respect. I remember those sparse memories even more so than the multiple medically-traumatic memories which is rare because human beings are unfortunately more prone to remembering the negative memories, simply due to being in such a desperate place at times and actually being treated with the dignity that I as a human being deserved and yet had been denied on so many other occasions.

I remember one such occasion where these things were afforded to me, only after stating to the nurse who saw me once I was admitted for Psychiatric assessment the following morning, as it was in the evening and the resident Psychiatrist had gone home for the evening, whom then tried to palm me off with a mental health calling card and told me that I was going to be discharged straight away and to call the service in the morning, when I was having an acute trauma response I now realise as I type this, surrounding what I can now see as clear as day was specifically related to being triggered by the behaviour of some people that I was around prior that evening which unfortunately must have reminded me of the covert psychological abuse of my mother but of which of course I couldn't see at the time or even until now six years later because it was buried deep in my subconscious as well as years of practiced disassociation, that because I'd been admitted, that they had a duty of care to me and that I wasn't going to be doing any such thing until I'd been assessed by a Psychiatrist. She wasn't happy about it but she eventually conceded defeat and told me that I could stay the night (how kind of her). I digress, apologies.

Back to the present; I'm expecting to have my anecdotal experiences at this upcoming diagnostic assessment medically gas lit, minimalised or even worse, flat out ignored. I say this because it has largely been the way of things throughout the past 20 years in my experience. With the assessment coming up in about seven weeks, it's brought up a swathe of medically traumatic experiences for me which have in turn, aggravated cptsd symptoms again. Stress also aggravates adhd symptoms as well as asd symptoms of over-stimulation for me, so this time in my life is proving to be in some ways, the most challenging time of my life.

Having said this as is always the case, there is always a silver-lining to be found. I guess the silver-lining for me here is that I'm finally learning what it means to truly stand up for what I believe in. To learn to live deliberately and with the gumption and dignity that I do in fact possess. I understand perfectly well that there are many suffering/struggling at this time and this truly sucks! but my sufferance's are just as worthy of being heard and validated as anyone else's.

The fallout from being male and having such a covertly psychologically abusive female primary caregiver who set about conditioning her son from such a young age, is still being revealed to me in moments of clarity. I guess that this is one of those silver-linings that I was referring to; the fact that feeling too unworthy to deserve receiving comments/replies to this thread is just one manifestation of her conditioning which commenced from the age of about 6 years of age, but I'm not sure exactly when because I was already disassociating from about that age.

I was conditioned to believe that how I viewed the world around me, was abnormal. That people saw me as a burden. 30 odd years later, I can see that how I was raised by her, was completely abnormal. But again I will clarify that I'm just a grain of sand on the beach of life and that my story is but one of millions of an unfair start to life. 

"he spark for me is the peers I've met in these places , sometimes I got more from them than the clinical team !"

hopefully this will be the same for me if I haven't managed to scare people away by having been so forthcoming with my writing. I guess now more than ever the saying "say what you feel and be who you are, because those that matter don't mind, and those that mind don't matter" is in the forefront of my mind. I've shared as much as I have in the hope that others can relate to my story, even if they don't feel comfortable to share their own story on a public forum. if it gives anyone else some inspiration or hope then it will have been well worth the investment, not to minimalise the benefit to myself of putting the time in to do this. I wish that my brother was still here and that I could be that supportive, empathetic and loyal influence that he deserved but this doesn't mean that I can't be that to any one else who may come into my life either on these forums or in my day to day life.

"I hope U are doing ok and thank you for sharing with me."

human beings need connection, we're social creatures. To have conditions that make connection difficult and prolonged connection even harder might be a tough hand to be dealt, but I refuse to let it continue to rule my life and any plans that I have for the future. You're very welcome, apologies once again for the monologue!

hi @scout1572

I totally agree with your sentiment that people just need to be honest and open, as doing so helps relieve anxiety, worry (and often depressive symptoms as well, as has been the case with me tonight).

Thank you for your thoughts around hoping that I've had a great day, I did in fact have a very good day. I started off a bit rough but after reaching out to people I know and sharing a cup of coffee together out, the rest of the day has been pretty good so I've been grateful for that.  

How did your day go today? 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance