Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Dan
Senior Contributor

Psychologist Toby Watson—Psychiatry is Misleading the Public About Mental Disorders

23 REPLIES 23

Re: Psychologist Toby Watson—Psychiatry is Misleading the Public About Mental Disorders

Thanks for this.

I will take a page from his book and refer to my meds differently from now on.

Re: Psychologist Toby Watson—Psychiatry is Misleading the Public About Mental Disorders

Hi @Dan,

Thanks for posting, I enjoyed watching this. The only problem is that the video is posted by the CCHR - the Citizens commission on Human Rights - a Scientology front group. Scientology is biased and is very anti psychiatry. Not because they have found evidence per se, but initially because their founder - L.Ron Hubbard hated psychiatry and psychiatrists. So they operate from the original premise that "psychiatry is bad", then try to find evidence to prove that assertion. I still read their material though but I keep that in mind.

“if i needed to get somewhere i did not know the directions to…they would literally lead me there without me having looked at a map…just with them directing me…it is heady stuff…”

Voices can tell you how to get to a location even if you don't know, meaning asking you to go in this direction, make a left turn, right turn etc.. 

2): Another experience of a person,

My subliminal voice always kept me safe at dangerous times and safe from dangerous people. I always seemed to know most events in advance, and this protected me and my family from nasty stuff. But the voice also made me lose almost my whole capital at the age of 40, and showed me that I could start from scratch. And I did. At the age of 53 I re-started to medidate and I experienced qi cong resonance within a month. This seemed to help me a lot with my health issues. I have been hearing the voice since the last 6 years, and the voice tells me exactly what will happen in the future in different parts of the world, and it also tells me what my colleagues are up to.”

3). I am now happy to say that I still do hear voices, yes… and we get along great (and will forever continue to do so). My voices really helped me to become a better, stronger person, and sometimes they still do the devil voice when they are in a joking mood. Actually, they can do any voice they want (man, woman, child, God, devil, British guy, Arnold Schwarzenegger, a Mexican, someone I know, etc.). It’s a skill they have that I’ve learned to appreciate, and I find incredibly entertaining.”

I see many voice hearers claim that their voices can imitate anyone's voice, people don't have this kind of an ability, therefore, chemical imbalance or even our brain cannot create these electrical activities in the auditory cortex to make us hear these voices. 

Therefore, I don't see there's a logic to believe in a chemical imbalance theory. Seems like so many people are just blind followers. 

Finally, I found out that delusions such as thought broadcast/ thought insertion were not there prior to 17th century, these are all new abnormal experiences that people saw after the 17th century. In this period one of the most famous delusion is glass delusion, following is a link.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-32625632  

You have a very interesting theory @Dan, thankyou for sharing it. I find the subject of voices extremely fascinating. If you don't mind mind me asking, what do you think is causing the voices as opposed to chemical imbalance?

I've never had voices thank god because I'd freak the heck out if I did - I'm a wuss!

I did have a friend who described to me voices after he smoked a certain substance, let's say it was terrifying for him as he was alone at home and there was no one else there. He never smoked the substance again.

For me I don't know about the chemical imbalance theory per se but I do believe the human mind could generate a voice and here's why. I think the human brain is a simulator, it deciphers the world around it and based on that information provides a simulation of the outside world to the conciousness. That's why different people have many world views. If there is a malfunction or an imbalance, I'm sure the mind could simulate any voice for the conciousness. I may be wrong. Heck, I've sometimes entertained the idea that people are hearing ghosts or something! It's a very interesting subject.

@Dan  Regardless of the source, this topic is a really important one .There is a lot of research and indeed practitioners themselves, who are questioning traditional methods, pharmaceutical "approval" vs lobbying and indeed the whole industry and its approach and what should be done. For enquiring minds there are many great sources: Documentaries and articles, out there to find.

Based on my own experience I understand that voices and most of these psychological illnesses are due to a hidden technology. I'm not saying this blindly by following other people, from my own weird experience and by carefully analysing other people's experiences, the history etc.. People are being tortured 24/7 but sadly know believe this or they cannot even comprehend such an idea due to the time of this invention. Even technology itself is so advance, that a normal person cannot think of it's capabilities. I already gave reasons for why voices cannot be due to a chemical imbalance, now if someone says that it could be due to Gods, ghosts, spirits, I could explain why that's not the case too. These are just false concepts that people are having with regard to voices. 

Then, if you are a person who experience your thoughts are being broadcasted, you will face the following experience,

"You will meet people who respond to you thoughts everywhere. Sometimes, this can be your neighbours, when you are in a coffee shop, in a library, people in television programs, radio stations, while you are shopping, in the streets etc... you name it. You will meet people who respond to your thoughts everywhere. So the bottom line is again they know nothing about your thoughts, these responses which aligns with your thoughts are coming to them out of the blue, which convincing you." -

Ex: You are sitting in a coffee shop and thinking of going to France, a person who is in front of you suddenly start talking about france and making bad comments. These type of cases would happen to people who experience thought broadcast so often. That's why they make such claims. Is it a random incident? Not at all, these incidences start happening to a person who have thought broadcast delusion so often every day. Sometimes, 20, 30 times even, which is why they start believing that their thoughts are being broadcasted. 

If I ask this question, up to this day, is there any doctor or a scientist have observed this strange phenomena? Or any person out there, have ever managed to observe this or say this? 

What everyone did was blindly following what the pshychiatrists saying and named these people as delusional people and have some kind of mental illness. How can a person say it's a mental illness, when originally that believe comes due to real world experience? We understand that people are not able to hear thoughts of other people but now how come people around a person who has this delusion talked about things which is in a mind of a delusional person? How they suddenly start talking about things which a delusional person thinking? Why so many random people suddenly talking things in mind of a delusional person? 

From a delusional person's perspective they talk things related to his life, activities etc.. but truelly that random person has no idea of whatsover. People with delusion are actually going through an uncomfortable situation to clarify this even, cause even if this person ask from the mind reader (according to delusional person) if they know his thoughts, they reject it (which is the truth) and start thinking that his/her is out of his/her mind. So chances of understanding the truth is very low. 

So, these are the things that we should research into. Brain scanning will not help us to understand this. 

The problem is people don't know how to explain their experiences, so from doctors point of view they have some sort of mental illness and that's due to their poor understanding too. 

Another example would be Gang stalking delusion, you can simply youtube for this, there you will find so many people who captured gang stalking in their camera's too. What are their claims? 

People who experience gang stalking, suddenly they start seeing people who are wearing red colored or white colored shirts following them. Red or white color vehicle follow them, vehicles stop near their houses. Then sometimes these people again talk about things happening in victims personal life, which makes these victims believe that they are stalking them, invading their privacy. However, if a person do a research they will see that these are normal people and they had no intension of following them. 

So from the victims perspective these are stalkers but from a researchers perspective these are normal random people. However, these researchers has failed to identify/noticed that the abnormal experiences such as, people following them, talking things related to their personal life (similar to thought broadcast delusion), suddenly vehicles stopping in front of their houses etc.. has gone abnormally high. We cannot put these experiences into the category of coincidences. 

Problem is no one has ever done a proper research and see why these people are facing these abnormal experiences, which make doctors to label them as people with delusions? These are induced delusions to people. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/11/health/gang-stalking-targeted-individuals.html?_r=0

This is the reason why some people in the history said the following,

https://www.academia.edu/18656936/Balzac_s_Louis_Lambert_schizophrenia_before_Bleuler

"Hare [20] defend precisely this hypothesis, arguing that the scarcity of reports previous to 1800 indeed leeds to the conclusion that schizophrenia is a recent disease, and therefore, that it must have been triggered by a specific event around 1800.."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmkdEKazZnI - In the 17th to 18th century this should have taken place. The voices that you experience today are due to a highly sophisticated program. AI's are giving these experiences to you. Your brains are being decoded 24/7 and some of your brains are being stimulated to give these psychological illnesses to people. People who talked about witchcraft prior to seventeenth century are the start of this technology, where people didn't know how to explain their experiences rather they believed in witches. 

1797 was the first famous case of schizophrenic due to this technology. 

"James Tilly Matthews in 1797 and the name of the machine was called as the “Influencing machine”. His case claimed to be the earliest clear description of schizophrenia in British psychiatric writing."

From this point after 50, 60 years we started experiencing multiple personality disorder ( One main symptom that they get is voices) , Synesthesia, Foreign Language disorder, Bi-polar disorder (again some have voices) etc.. 

Hmm, thanks for the answer @Dan. I think the doctors believe it to be a delusion because they themselves could not corroborate the claims of the person experiencing the phenomena. To the doctor, a delusion is a rational explanation.

For example, who and why does a person or group of people use this unknown technology to broadcast voices into victims heads? I imagine such an endeavour would be prohibitively expensive in terms of manpower and operating costs for such a machine. Why do they persecute them? What would they achieve from doing this?

P.s. I hope my reply and question doesn't sound rude or argumentative, that isn't my intention, just my questions etc.

@Dan  There are neuroscientists investigating phenomena such as that you are describing ,and other areas.  They are beginning more with NDEs because many take place in the operating rooms or hospitals, so facts can be extrenally checked rather than just anecdotal internal experiences.

I personally have experienced some of the things you have described in your postings today.  For example the map thiing - I wrote about that only a matter of days ago, though my experiences have never involved "voices" I just know, without any explanation.

Have a look into the cutting edge research going into "the non local mind" areas of neuroscience that is enveloping a range of disciplines in its broader concepts.  It's not specific to the area you are talking about but it does cover a broader spectrum that could, in time, open a whole new understanding of that function of our brain and why these things occur.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance