Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: OCD staring / eye contact / peripheral vision

Really amazing to see people locally with this OCD have not been able to connect with anyone in Australia. Think people are too ashamed to address it and talk about it sadly.

I really focused on fixing my problem 18 months ago, been amazing what I have achieved through gradual exposure. I really should get an OCD starring sponsorship from Red Bull what I am doing now. I just joined a Gym a week ago and me without a care in the world in a changing room is like jumping out of a plane for me.

I think beating the OCD is not a thing just work hard at being happy and enjoying life. I was pretty down a few weeks ago and the OCD was right there waiting for me. Good life maintenance is the way to go

What a powerful story - thank you for sharing @StanHalen !

Thanks tyme,

I guess the coolest part of my recovery I forgot to mention is I am about to go on placement as a mental health peer worker.

I think one thing I learnt though all those years in the twilight zone is ask for help when you need it.

It will be good to get out there and hopefully give something back to the NDIS that really kept me forging on this last year. 

Tyler,  

As I have written before too I have suffered too with this for 25 plus years. Continue to take SSRI medication too.

But finally I have got some resolution.  It is based on exercises in the book - 'Mindworks' by Gary Van Warmerdam

The concept is as under - we have a Belief - no control over where we look. We judge ourselves guilty with this feeling. Years of faith in this belief has made it seem a 'fact'. It is indeed now after years. 

But before we address the 'Belief'- we need to change our 'Perspective' on our action. Instead of thinking it as a terrible thing we are doing.  We need to consider it a behavioural issue. Like a tick.  That will lessen the emotional charge we feel. 

And so on on and so on. Book has lot of exercises. Book  is not about Ocd staring - but generally about changing any fear based belief . Trust me it is really helping.  

hello mark i tried so hard to reach you i am also sick of ocd i have been trying for about 8 years but now i am so tired i think i have to give up my last struggles i want to talk to you about this i will pray to god for you to reach me stay safe @Mark60 

hi @Devıl01, I'm TuxedoCat, it's nice to meet you. It seems like you're feeling a bit overwhelmed right now. Is that right? 

Do you have anyone you can talk to about how you're feeling today? 

At SANE, we have a counselling phone line or webchat that you could use? Click here to find the details

You could also call Lifeline or 000 if you're worried about your safety tonight.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance