Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Shaz51
Community Guide

Is it Social Anxiety Disorder or Anxiety / Depression ??

Hello everyone

Is it Social Anxiety Disorder ??   or Anxiety / Depression ??

My husband who has MI all his life has been told he has social anxiety by the doctor

I have looked it up and Hubby has got a lot of it but not all the symptoms

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Is it Social Anxiety Disorder or Anxiety / Depression ??

I don't know @Shaz51 but hearing how it is all so confusing? I stopped trying to box myself up into a diagnosis because it just got too confusing GAH! and the different people all have their own variations on what is wrong with me and what is a priority for 'fixing'. so i take it all with a grain of salt now and just work on living as best i can mostly. I see my psychologist as the one who generally understands me better/i've been more open with her as well so have a bit more faith in her opinion. 

lj

Hello @Former-Member Heart

I totally agree my friend xx, told hubby it doesn`t matter,   just work on living as best you can 

@Shaz51, I get both anxiety in general but there is a central streak of social anxiety in it. Your husband could have both as they are related to each other. I'd give some credence to what a doctor suggested to me. But I'd overall be guided by my own experience. As you and @Former-Member suggested, working on living as best we can is the ultimate aim regardless of diagnosis. Heart

Hello @Shaz51

I'm with @Former-Member, it can be helpful to have a correct diagnosis, but then again that really depends on the person and what works for them, as no two people can experience all the same symptoms with the same diagnosis even if the diagnosis is correct...so I guess as long as he is open and honest with what he is experiencing then he is getting the right support for that.

Do you think that he is feeling good about his connection with his therapist?

Lunar x

Hello @Lunar 

Do you think that he is feeling good about his connection with his therapist? -- he doesn`t have one @Lunar

now and then he wants to seek help and then he doesn`t

Hi @Shaz51 how are you?

I have GAD generalised anxiety but also think it is social.  I get very stressed about going to social events and always think I'm going to open my mouth and look stupid.  

Like everyone else has said doesnt matter what type of anxiety just work through it.

Hope you are going well, I'm getting there had a bad day yesterday but getting over it now and back on the mend.Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance