Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Tyler77
Senior Contributor

I use Poetry to try to deal with the issues surrounding my mental illness. Here is a poem I'm proud of...

I am so pretentious,

and conscientious,

really so very vain...

Mad as the "Hatter"

But taller and fatter,

I'm actually quite insane...

Normalcy decrees,

That I have a diesease,

Originating in the brain...

In come the normalcy police,

Who want the abberations to cease,

And to restore me to their version of "sane"...

Yes, I suppose it is oppression,

Treating differences with such aggression,

Was once colorful, now I am plain...

My life considered not normal,

They sought out change, formal,

At the place which issues ball and chain...

Now I'm regulated and controlled,

And I fit neatly into societies mold,

My individuality, long ago slain...

Fight it, I could...

But it would do no good,

So my opposition I do refrain...

They say it's for my own good,

Being, as they determined I should,

The original me, little does remain..

6 REPLIES 6

Re: I use Poetry to try to deal with the issues surrounding my mental illness. Here is a poem I'm proud of...

This is a great poem and I can understand where you are coming from. Thank you for sharing @Tyler77
I do hope that at some point in the future you feel like you can be yourself safely,
lj

Re: I use Poetry to try to deal with the issues surrounding my mental illness. Here is a poem I'm proud of...

Wow @Tyler77. That poem truly describes your journey & the journey of many others here.
You have a wonderful gift woth words.

@Tyler77 - I understand that deeply. I recently came off my meds and there was a few weeks there where I was 'myself' again. Now, not so much have dived into the abyss again. Thanks for the clarity of your writing.

Hello @Tyler77

I love the poem.

The likening to the mad hatter resonates strongly with me. As you can see my attration to Alice's adventures in Wonderland and through the looking glass.

The following part saddens me:

They say it's for my own good,

Being, as they determined I should,

The original me, little does remain..

Dont give up on yourself. You are still there.
Remember Alice? Her adventure? Go searching and find a new you, one who appreciates the simple things in life.

Nature is beautiful, animals, birds, sea creatures are there for all of us, even those of us who have had a long, hard journey.

I too love poetry as a release.

In my mind I am not free
If only they could see
A prisioner I feel inside
From them I do divide

Hoping for the day
That I do find the way
To let it out and say
I have no more to pay

beautifully written @metamind
Welcome to the forums, and thank you for sharing here. If you like poetry you might like to use the search function to find other poetry threads as there have been quite a few. I'm not very gifted in the use of words in that way!
Hope that the forums are useful for you 🙂
LJ
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance