Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Fragile

Hey @Appleblossom  hope today's been a good one for you.  I'm curious about how the 'NDIS ball rolling' looks for you?  Hoping it's all good.  

@eth 

Heart

Met and accepted first CoS as I chose to stay with related community health organisation. Had an hour session with her and her colleague in my home last week.  Chose Plan Manager from 3 she suggested. 

Found recycled green card file to put NDIS paper essentials in "health" section of my file cabinet.

"Coincidentally" stood next to NDIS worker lady in choir during break. She smiled at me last week and stood next to me last night. We had mentioned her work a couple of years ago, walking from train station, well before I ever thought it would be relevant to me son or I. We are not close, she has different voice type, but you asked, and all my mini coincidences add up. 

Thinking about how an OT might help me, or garden maintenance.

Had a session yesterday with psychologist and she is supporting me taking my time and respecting my feelings. 

Thinking I may be able to get a mobile phone next year.  All depends on how my car behaves.

My story is fundamentally about my family falling through cracks in a range of systems, and me being a worker in many systems, giving me insight into how those systems ought to work.

When my son had his last episode I spent months online researching for him.  Now, I am happy to be guided and go with the simplest flow. I am exhausted and will only go extra mile, if there are problems.

He complains about NDIS but I have not wanted to pry, and tried to respect his management of it.  Being in carer role, I mainly drive him to appointments.  Now I am on it, I can hopefully guide or support him in best possible way.  If I would have been able, I would have insisted he had some transport cover, he has none, as we are in outer suburb with complicated bus routes and he has been dependent on me.

My 2nd lev transport allowance will help make ends meet.  I had to probe beyond what the LAC had on his computer to manager to get it started etc, but fingers crossed its alright now.

Is that what you meant?

@Appleblossom   you sound like you're off to a good start with it all.  very pleased for you that, for the most part, things are falling into place.   Sounds like you are putting a good team together including some people you already have worked with. Your psychologist sounds like a good one.  Yes little coincidences do add up sometimes.  Hope that the supports you are putting in place do make it easier to guide your son and that things work better for him soon.   Hope today is one of the better ones for you xx

@eth @outlander @Maggie @MDT @Former-Member @Zoe7 @Faith-and-Hope  @Jacques  and @TAB and others who are interested and reading.  

I saw new gp yesterday and she has the thoroughness, intellect and compassion/motivation to work well with me. (This is not always a given, even if people have been to medical school.) She opened appointment with a cultural reference to the path of a physician and really appreciated my response in telling her about Kathe Kollwitz the German lithographer, wife of a doctor.

Heart

We started going through dad's inquest and papers.  SHE GOT IT.  

She also got that there is a lot of medical incompetence as part of my family's story.  

So I have HOPE.

Heart

Last night  there were 2 chairs between me and lady I think diddled my son and I of ed dept support around 2007.  I did not raise anything it was not right time. Wanting to discuss her with psychologist and clarify with her old boss before I move on that.

I met a new lady who had oodles of white privilege and got early into finger wagging and knowing it all, cos she was a teacher ... but speaking outside her area of expertise.  It was at friendly chat level, but I told her I would never be convinced of her argument about musical skill ... you either have it or not.  It is so counter good educational practise I am sick of teachers spouting these generalisations.

This was a similar issue, but different person with same career background, that triggered my upset at this choir in April.  Ah the biases we human cherish ... me to ...

I guess ...Smiley Embarassed

On way home gave a lift to a lady, also tertiary institution and business linchpin.  Learned about new R&D opportunities and it was great to talk with switched on woman, who seems keen to be my friend over last couple years ...Woman SurprisedWoman HappyHeart

Smiley Happy

@Appleblossom  The new dr sounds really  goooood. Something going your way.💜

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Appleblossom  so glad you're new gp is working out so well... and when when she went through your dad's papers...  "SHE GOT IT" 👍 really HOPE this continues for you 🌷

I afree with you, that with musical skill ... you either have it or not, to make your instruments sing that is... But having said that, there's some pretty good mechanical players out there. Expression the big difference. Generalising is just easy way out, that need to box everything... We all have bias of some sort, part of he human condition, thank God we're all different 💜

Glad you have a friend whose "switched on" and who likes your company.

Always good to see you pop up, and to read your news 💜

🎼🎶🎵🎶🎵🎶🎵🎶🎵🎶

@Appleblossom I also dislike teachers spouting generalisations - especially about how 'certain kids' need to toe the line the same way as all others do - that is not the world we live in and does not allow for individual differences and pathways in life. So often expectations are espoused according to some teachers own values (which are usually very middle class and often narrow minded) and do not take into account that each individual brings with them their own skills, interests and 'life' - and all those combined make for unique and individual humans - those are attributes we should applaud and not try to squash.

Great news about your GP - it is such a good thing to find one that is not only caring but GETS IT. Those are the ones we need to stick with and have faith that they have our best interests at heart and will actually listen to what we need. 

The interaction with the woman on the way home seems like it was a really positive one to end the evening - lovely to hear that too Apple Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance