Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

utopia
Senior Contributor

Did anyone just watch ...

SANE Forums

Home >

Our experience & stories

Who Do You Think You Are

utopia

Community Guide

9:49 PM

Did anyone watch 'You Can't Ask That' tonight on ABC?
Tonight's episode was hearing from people who have attempted suicide and included 2 speakers from SANE.
Was great to see this topic discussed on tv. Would be wonderful if we could see more of this type of discussion. Especially when you hear that 8 Australians die everyday through suicide.
As one person on the show said, it was good to have the opportunity to answer these questions, that people just don't ask.
What did you think of the show?
23 REPLIES 23
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Did anyone just watch ...

Hi @utopia - I watched it on iview today. It was difficult and confronting viewing but a story that really needs to be told. People need to see the human face of suicide and not just the clinical statistics. So brave of those people to tell their story and for those of us who have been in their position it really hit home. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

I watched it on iview. Very good program. Sad but worthwhile discussion. The people are so honest and open. Some of the other episodes are worth watching too. I hope it saves people from self harm.

@Former-Member @Former-Member. It was good to see the faces and hear the stories. It's a good program for helping to break down stereotypes & stigma.
Are you both okay now, after viewing it?
Former-Member
Not applicable

Thanks for asking @utopia. I felt a bit emotional after watching it but felt that I am stronger for it. It touches a nerve in me, reminding me of more difficult times. And makes me grateful I'm still here. Grateful for the support I've gotten.

I'm glad it has made you feel grateful to still be alive @Former-Member. It is emotionally hard to hear others stories of such painful times. They can remind us of our own pain.
Keep doing what you need to do to stay well. ♥♥
Former-Member
Not applicable

Thanks. I do hope that you are going ok after watching it too. ❤️

@utopia Didn't realise you had started this thread until after I had posted about tonight's episode elsewhere! I found it frustrating. I get that it was showing the need for openness, transparency and support around the issues of MI and suicide but the commentaries were overwhelmingly slanted towards the positive sides of life and not the struggles that still exist for so many both after 'failed' suicide attempts and in getting through each day whilst still having these thoughts. This is indeed an issue that needs a much greater 'conversation'.

The 2 Sane people - think I recognise the lady. But the man. He stated he struggles everyday. That the struggles haven't ended for him. It is still a daily fight. Others seem to be coping better. Through hospital, medications, therapy and self care.
A half hour show isn't long enough. You need an hour for each persons story. I liked the fact they had different MI's and were different ages.

@Former-Member - are you okay?
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance