Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

spelled3
Casual Contributor

Depression/anxiety and conflict

Hi all

I've had a couple of verbal conflicts I didn't anticipate recently. I'm feeling very anxious (at the edge of an anx attack) and have been for several days and a bit depressed. And guilty, as I contributed to generating one of the conflicts. I keep going over everything in my head, and I can't stop. I've had some alepam which is helpful, and my depression meds. I've got a counselling appt on Monday, but I'm still struggling. Any ideas? TIA.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Depression/anxiety and conflict

hello @spelled3

@spelled3 wrote:

Hi all

I've had a couple of verbal conflicts I didn't anticipate recently. I'm feeling very anxious (at the edge of an anx attack) and have been for several days and a bit depressed. And guilty, as I contributed to generating one of the conflicts. I keep going over everything in my head, and I can't stop. I've had some alepam which is helpful, and my depression meds. I've got a counselling appt on Monday, but I'm still struggling. Any ideas? TIA.

I suffer from major depression and anxiety.

When my anxiety is strong I find myself having to watch what I say as my thoughts want me to scream.

The depression has an ingredient known as agitation which I was not aware of until my last hospital stay. A clinical nurse picked up on my agitation during my stay and immediately gave me some prn.

I was quite astounded as I always thought that it was my anxiety creating the symptoms.

Agitated depression is worse than anxiety apparently.

It is very hard not to respond when in the company of some people. I try to remove myself and visit the ladies when I can feel my reaction building up a storm inside.

It is good that you are aware of the fact and are going to discuss the matter with your counsellor.

Your counsellor might suggest that when anxiety is high and staying at that level after trying non medical options, that you use your prn just at those times. If this is the case, important to not feel that you are failing in taking your prn in extreme situations. It has been explained to me that you are actually helping by stopping the feelings from escalating.

My psychiatrist has reassured me that I manage my medication well. I err on the side of caution.

Hope that all makes sense. I struggle at the moment getting my thoughts across. Almost as though I am talking in my own language that others have not heard of.

Thanks Mohill

Obsessive thinking is my nemesis. I use art and mindfulness as ways to combat it. Although it only works sometimes, its a really tough one. Hope your counsellor can help

Thanks Saa-blue

@spelled3. We have a thread on the forum called Coping Box. It is under the Looking After You section. Have a read through. People have posted some helpful suggestions on how to focus on something else - when your mind is obsessing over an issue.
eg: crosswords, sudoku, knitting or other craft, music, exercise, walking the dog, long shower, meditation, mindfulness.
I'm glad you will be seeing a counselor on Monday. And you are not alone with putting your foot in it. Anxiety and being irritable - can sometimes lead us to saying things we wouldn't normally. But it's done now. So time to try and refocus and turn your mind to other things. Distractions help. As does talking here when you need someone to listen.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance