Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: BPD Awareness featuring SPECTRUM VIC

@Former-Member  , I m going to check out the EMDR, I'm glad it's helping you, I hadn't heard of that before so will  see what it is.

@outlander I haven't heard of MBT either so I'll check that out as well.

Has anyone done any of those therapy that the Guest Speakers had mentioned and have they worked.

I did the DBT years ago and it hasn'' t helped, me they told me because of my other MH diagnosis it doesn't work sometimes cause the other disorders affect  the BPD, so I would need to have therapy that would help my other symptoms as well., and I have no idea how to do that. 

@Shaz51 @Appleblossom @roses1 @BlueBay @cutiepiekitty @Angels333 @Judi9877 

@Determined 

@saturnzoon  I did dbt years ago but needed to do it a second year. Couldn’t go. It was too expensive. I did struggle with it a lot. It wasn’t easy. 

I did EMDR a while ago and it helped a little. 

Ive not heard of MBT therapy. 

Hope today is an ok day for you. Xxx

@saturnzoon, I have tagged you to the EMDR thread xx

@saturnzoon I have not heard of MBT. B did mention EMDR, but said that when you have trust issues, concentration issues etc it may not work so she was not prepared to start it with me but may later. Still have not heard from her about appt though. Hoping something will happen in the next week or so

@saturnzoon 

I personally chose EMDR because i believe my bpd is all from traumas.

The research i did suggested that EMDR is the most advanced method for treating traumas.

Its used on ex vets & many people in accidents

& a lot of first responders.

Ive had no therapy other than what ive done on myself in 25yrs. Just stupid 10yrly sessions talking about what i was doing. All of them just trying to get me to socialize but having no strategies for when i was triggered. 

I really took charge once i got here & decided i wasnt seeing anymore people that just triggered me off & focused on getting a job. 

Sorry but theres way too many useless therapists out there taking $ & not doing anything but listening to u talk.

I get that support here.

Anyway thats my complaint.

I look back at how bad i was & no1 suggested anything for me.amazing im still around i got so dangerously low & wasnt functioning right at all.

I've been through the Spectrum programs and worked with both our guest speakers. It doesn't feel like much has happens in each session, but after 18months-2 years, in retrospect, the change is immense. So subtle, yet so rewarding. I changed a lot after their support.

Do you think thst EMDR could work for childhood abuse @Former-Member 

@BlueBay 

Im hoping so.

I believe all my problems stem from my childhood abandonment & abuse.

So far ive noticed that traumas are linked. 

I have little memory of my childhood.  It was only a few yrs ago that i recalled something disturbing related to my bros. Obviously my mind had blocked it.

Im unsure if the EMDR can work if theres loss of memories tho

I think bpd develops in childhood. Just my theory tho. So if u cant remember it then i doubt EMDR can help with it.

This is only my opinion. 

Im hoping that by working on the trauma i can remember then ill at least b achieving to release some emotional pain. The EMDR therapy helps me see the clarity of what happened which is empowering.

I just am aware that for me with bpd the talk therapy does nothing. 

Its such a misunderstood condition. 

Im currently working thru adult trauma altho one was when i was 16.

So possibly my true answer is no if theres no memories.

I recently did an adult trauma in the hope of it creating more memories. A tiny bit more came up but the trauma blocked the rest. 

Ill keep doing it tho cause i know its helping the adult trauma so thats great. Its much faster acting than i expected. However that could be cause i have an experienced therapist.

Hope that clarifies a bit for u

Hi @Former-Member 

@thanks for your reply. 
my issues all started 10 years ago when I remembered I was sexually abused as a child. I remember the abuse clearly but have a lot of "empty parts" of my childhood. my mind blocked the abuse for over 40 years. 
I was seeing a trauma psychologist but it was so triggering thst I stopped seeing her. 
I am confused as to what I should do. 
My gp doesn't want me to see her anymore I see a hospital psychologist that deals with present things eg wirk stress etc. 

but I often think that if I don't see the trauma therapist will I get past my Childhood abuse. 
I think thst BPD stsrted young for me too but never diagnosed until 10 years ago. 
yes I agree it's a misunderstood disorder. One thst I struggke eith so much. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance