Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

MDT
Community Guide

What does well-being mean to you?

I hear this term a lot nowadays. In pop culture, psychology and in every nook and crany of modern life.

Does it mean living life in a particular way? With a particular mindset? 

Does it mean we try to solve the problems in our lives, try to find what the cause of an issue may be, try our best to manage whats happening?

I have been thinking that wellbeing is a mindset. A practical set of behaviours that we enact to make ourselves tolerate... ourselves. 

It can be hard living with mental health issues. Particularly ones that limit our livelihoods - depression keeping us down, anxiety causing us to stress etc  etc.

At what point does wellbeing "kick in" so to speak?

15 REPLIES 15

Re: What does well-being mean to you?

Food for thought @MDT 

I agree it's a mix of mindset and taking action.

For me it's very much a continuum that I move up and down... so moving towards a stronger sense of wellbeing is the goal. Having said that, not beating myself up when I'm not where I want to be is important too because it's a platform to taking steps in the right direction.

Mindset wise some of the contributors for me are looking for wins, any wins, valueing positive connections with people, and meditation. The latter helps me accept rather than rail against what I can't change.

Action wise, I try and do as much of the construnctive lifestyle stuff as I can, as well as looking for things that enjoy and giving myself credit for where I'm doing ok.

One indicator for me is how well or not I cope with work. There are limits for me on the work front. I can never move into a management role because so much of my energy is taken up managing myself. Still, I can contribute and grow in my role and that's what I aim for. It's kind of circular because working well contributes to wellbeing, and wellbeing is a prerequisite for working well.

Thanks for sharing that @frog
I agree with a lot of what you said. I can relate.
Your last point is essential - working well in circular relationship with wellbeing. This is why I ultimately left my old job for a temp role.
It's also why I am looking at options in life atm with what I am working on and spending time on.
Life is a balancing act I guess, but there needs to be enjoyment in amongst the struggles. Balance in all things
THanks for you input my friend

@Shaz51 @BlueBay @Meowmy @saltandpepper @Adge and others - what do you think? if you have any thoughts on the matter

@MDT hey Hamso, congratulations on a very important and practical thread

Will be interested to follow

I suppose if i had to put it into words @MDT I'd say well being is an understanding of your personal needs/limits and learning how to recognise them and tend to them so you can in fact, live well.

Why are you pondering this @MDT?

Thanks @Meowmy

It's been on my mind for a bit so I was keen to see what the forumites had to offer.

Balance in life my friend @saltandpepper
But also a balance between what is not important and what is.
I agree with your perspective there btw.

This internship and a new job and uni had me all over the shop this week. I know that I can intellectually handle it all, but it's just a case of my mindset needing to change to it all. And also, more importantnly, my wellbeing. Rather than say "this is too much" I want to first ask the question "is there anything I can do in my power at the moment to either a) lighten the load or b) restructure my priorities."
It occured to me last night. I wrote up osme stuff on my normal thread about an experience I had last night with the intership. It gave me the shits. so I was wondering how I could respond to it better. I deleted everything I did and just reshaped it. It was still not good enough. today I spoke to my friend when having lunch and we were talking about work and life balance. Work rest and play in other words. I have come to the conclusion that wellbeing is determined by me and only me. so I was keen to hear how others have gone about this. I think it's really important. It prevents me making rash choices, but more informed ones.

So, my new approach to internship? Do less. Work smarter with it. That's all. Prioritise other stuff. My friend said that I don't "need" this internship and I guess that freed up my mind to look at it from a totally new perspective.

I am rambling lol

Mate, job + uni + internship is ALOT for one person to juggle. You're bound to get burnt out every now and then with it all.

I'm always in awe at the depth of your thought process with everything @MDT being able to take a step back and look at things the way you do is admirable.

I think your new approach re internship is very sensible and will serve you well

I think its the most logical @saltandpepper
I'm not getting paid for it. Effort and reward are hand in hand.

Well I didn't hear from my friend re uni group catch up. Said I couldn't go because I had to write something for this inter ship. I admit I used it as an excuse as I wasn't keen on seeing them. Idk.

Wellbeing wise I thought it best to work on something that mattered to me. At least at this level. That's another thing I thought of too in regards to well-being.
It would be best to spend time on things and with people I care for and only spend time on experiments with finding new friends and patching up old friendships when the time and season is right.

What is living with good well-being? I think its being able to say to yourself "I am living my life the best i can despite everything"
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance