Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: GRATITUDE

Thanks for the tag @flybluebird 

I am grateful for:

1. Sunshine 

2. MH team for the time pdoc is away

3. Family

4. Fridge full of food

5. Forum friends 

Hello   @flybluebird , @Eve7 , @pinklollipop15 , @Dimity , @Shaz51

and others visiting this thread

Where I am, it is hot and windy. About 100+ km from the coast. However, there is a public swimming pool across the road which you have just reminded and nudged me to use, since I am complaining about being sore after a relatively small amount of physical activity yesterday.

So ideas for which I might feel a sense of Gratitude

• Swimming pool across the road.
  • Visit yesterday that is likely to allow access to funds being available for repair work to the house after cyclone.
  • I have accommodation which, while not flash, gives me protection and a reasonable level of comfort.
  • Recent call from my daughter, which is continuing confirmation of our relatively recent opportunity for expression of mutual care
  • A counsellor with whom a good sense of rapport has been established and continuing work is showing "dividends" in the form of positive perceptions balancing some of the negatives and feelings of being overwhelmed and crashing.
  • A community in which I am recognised as a reasonable sort of person who engages in community commemorations and other more social activities
  • A singing group in which I participate one night a week and a morning each week at residential aged care with the group and residents there.
  • I have a vehicle which, though it needs some work, still provides me with satisfactory transport even for fairly long trips.
  • There are people I can call on if I need assistance. That is a mutual arrangement around town.
  • Recently, I was able to assist a friend with printer ink when his didn't arrive and he needed it urgently. He returned the new replacement inks to me today. Something simple but worthwhile.
  • Members on this forum provide me the opportunity to offer and accept reciprocal support and acknowledgement.
  • The forum also provides me with a sense of purpose and opportunity for continuing personal develpment.

Golly, when I first saw the reference to Gratitude, today, I didn't quickly bring to mind reasons for gratitude. However, once I started writing, the reasons for Gratitude just came flowing out. And I'm sure that I could continue with more.

Now, to be realistic and balanced, there are issues about which I have concerns, some of them significant. But it really is worthwhile, I think, not to allow those thoughts and feelings about the negative aspects and experiences of life, to completely overwhelm everything else, including the good things for which we can express our Gratitude.

The poem "Desiderata" comes to mind.

Thank you @flybluebird 

With My Best Wishes

@HenryX 

Thank you for responding with your own thoughts @Eve7  & @HenryX 

Sunshine & having food in the fridge is something I often hold gratitude for myself @eve7

So happy for you that you have access to a pool across the road, that sounds like a very hot environment to be in where you live @HenryX .

I really loved reading your gratitude ideas  - and often have a similar experience when being asked myself regarding things I’m grateful for. 

It definitely doesn’t make all the problems go away - but I do notice from my experience - whether its a shift in perception, remembering those things to me that also matter helps. So often its the very simple yet meaningful things Smiley Happy

I’ve decided to make the conscious effort to pick up my practice of gratitude of late & made me think of it here on the forums. 

Really enjoyed reading that poem you referenced too, Desiderata, I had not heard of it.

Rhye
Senior Contributor

@HenryX a lifelong friend of mine shared this poem with me when we were teens, though I must admit I haven't revisited it in a long time. Thank you for the reminder to "go placidly", HenryX 🌞

Today I am grateful for my kind natured work colleagues, and for the openess and generosity that is shared daily here in the forums 🍀

Thank you @HenryX 

And hello @Rhye , @flybluebird , @Eve7 , @pinklollipop15 

Sitting here in the middle of everything and yes thinking of the things to be grateful for such as 

Going to the hairdresser 

Got some lovely presents from our customers and one beautiful teapot for my teapot collection 

All our customers want us to come back 

Food in the fridge 

Ute is still going 

Hi @Shaz51 @Rhye @flybluebird @HenryX @Eve7 

I'm grateful today for spending time with my daughter. We went tenpin bowling, played arcade games and also went to the playground (park) and noone was around at either place really as COVID is rife here again so was grateful for that. 

I am grateful for my fans as the last few days have been stinking hot and I'm grateful to have family to spend Christmas with and of course I'm grateful for the freedom, food, presents and time. 

I hope you all have an amazing Christmas and wonderful 2022 🙂

I'm thankful for the safety and comfort of home and for having enough to eat and for the chance of new beginnings. 

I'm thankful for my forum family and my beautiful fur babies

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Eve7 @Judi9877 @Zoe7 @plasmo @Shaz51 @LookingHopeful @Appleblossom @Emelia8 @Meowmy @TAB @saltandpepper @Bow @BlueBay @Fluttershy1 @HenryX @Wanderer @AussieRecharger and everybody else!
I'm grateful for you guys and these forums. I'm also grateful for my trusted support network. I'm also grateful that today is coming to an end.
@Shaz51 i'm so glad you started this thread. Thanks so much!
TAB
Senior Contributor

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance