Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Historylover
Senior Contributor

One step forward.....

Hello everyone.  How is Sunday going for you?  I had my stove and oven installed today and have had the opportunity to run it for a while.  All the kitchen finishing off is still to do, but I will be able to cook again and eat healthily.  It was really affecting my health.  Almost 6 weeks without a kitchen.  All of my cupboard contents have to be rearranged now, and knowing where to put everything in the most workable way is still taxing my imagination.  The refrigerator is still in the living room and I still go to the bathroom to boil the kettle and wash up - by habit.  Can't wait for it all to be done but still so much to do.  At least the basic kitchen work has been done - it's functional - and my handyman can only come for certain jobs during lockdown.  Probably weeks more of it.

So you'd think I'd be feeling rather better than I do, but I've been thinking of how things will be when the job is done.  As it is, he, they come and go and it is really taxing to have to find things to occupy myself in the limited, spare space available while trying to maintain just a little privacy.  However when completed I will be completely on my own again.  Don't know how I will be able to handle any more of that.

I enrolled in an online course because for me that is my best option, but I am anticipating that the technology part will be my undoing despite my eagerness to start.  I have been using computers for probably decades but my skills have only advanced as far as my needs have required.  First day may find me battling to find the way to start and becoming quickly disillusioned.  Living alone and not having anyone to ask for help is so difficult.  They have a helpline but a request I made two days ago hasn't been responded to yet.  On first day, they will probably be inundated.

I'm feeling very low today and just needed to reach out to find some support from my online friends.  Sending best wishes to all. Heart  Hope the prospect of Spring around the corner is mood lifting for everyone.

32 REPLIES 32

Re: One step forward.....

Hello @Historylover sorry you feel so sad 😭 I too Would be waiting for my kitchen to come together good on you for making your life the best the best it can be love your kindness and your post from your Clawde 😍

Great to hear you have your stove and oven installed @Historylover  So sorry about the slow process with your kitchen and that you’ve been low today.

Did you enjoy a nice home cooked dinner? Sitting with you.

I'm cooking dinner right now @Historylover  - I probably won't finish

You have a lot happening with just your kitchen right now and still going to the bathroom to get water - I understand that - a few weeks ago I had the power-point in the kitchen burn-out and kept going back to the power point in the lounge to boil the jug -

You need support right now - I hear you - I am trying to send some - hopefully I will get back after dinner but I can't promise that

Sending my best thoughts

Dec

You probably can imagine my delight in indulging myself in this all-things-new environment, @Eve7.  Nothing special was cooked but it was more wholesome than anything I have thrown together in recent weeks. I have yet to get organized with recipe experimenting. And then, because of having removed so much from my table top into the cupboards, I even sat down like a normal human being to eat. I'd been eating scrunched up in one corner or another much of the time.  But now, there are dishes waiting on the sink for my attention.  Some things never change.

So nice to hear from you @Eve7.  I hope your weekend has gone well and that you're doing fine.  Sending best wishes.  Thanks for sitting with me.  It means a lot.  

Former-Member
Not applicable

So excited for you to have at least the pleasure of tasty wholesome food.

I do hope they can finish off the kitchen for you in quicker time. It will  feel more like home again. Hope you manage to sort out your study issues @Historylover 🌸❤️

Don't worry @Owlunar.  Your post has worked wonders.  Sending best wishes to you too.

As always, lovely to hear from you @Clawde Heart (👩‍🍳- me.  I wish!!)

Thank you @Historylover  for your kind response. It means a lot.

S1 and I had tomato toasties tonight and strawberries and ice cream for dessert! I had lunch with old friends who have just moved close by which is so exciting.

In fact this has been the best weekend in ages! Yesterday I went to the movies and out to dinner with other friends so I’m a bit peopled out but in a good way.

Starting to feel a bit anxious about work tomorrow so having a camomile tea to relax.

I love eating at the table with a clean table cloth!

💙🦋💙

Re the study issues - I do too, @Former-Member.  I'm not hopeful but I'm going to try to do my best not to let the computer lack of know-how beat me.  I would so love not to let it. Until now I have had all the skills I needed.  Perhaps I'll learn some new ones 🤞

Re the kitchen - all depends on lockdown.  At least there is progress I can see - and use now!

Sending best wishes.Heart😊 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance