Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hello all! New here

Hi all 🙂

I hope everyone is having a nice night. 

I'm new here and just wanted to make a post. Not super sure what to write - but this forum seems really interesting and I'm keen to talk to some other people as I find that what I have experienced is accompanied by a lot of societal stigma. So, I'm happy to find a place where I can voice what I'm feeling in an anonymous way. 

I'm not sure if I want to go into too much detail, but in the past I have struggled with psychosis. It has been two years though since my last episode so that's positive. To be completely honest, nowadays I'm really healthy and happy but recovery can be tricky sometimes, so I think having a bit of support such as this forum will be really helpful for me. Outside of my diagnosis, I really enjoy art and I actually really love my work.

Other than that - I'm actually wondering if anyone has ideas for studying with a mental illness? I study part-time at university, and I find I fall behind a bit. Would be great if anyone had any tips on how to stay organised and how to prioritise things? I know the guidelines say not to ask for professional advice - but I'm hoping study tips is okay. Please let me know as I definitely want to be getting off on the right foot.

Other than that - if anyone at all is up for a chat - please respond to this forum 🙂 I'm so keen to get chatting and get to know some new people.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Hello all! New here

Hi and welcome, @Former-Member ...it's good you've joined. 

It's good you haven't had a psychotic episode for 2 years 🙂 

I'm sure study tips are OK! I don't have any myself as I was always a bad student, lol...but I will tag @outlander  who is currently studying and doing well at it. 

A handy forum tip is if you type @ and click on a name in the drop-down box, that person will get a notification of your reply, like I did for you. 

Hi @Former-Member ,

I'm up for a good chat.

Like you, I'm also studying. I don't think I've ever stopped studying since beginning school! And yes, this includes studying with complex mental health issues. I won't say it's easy, but it's definitely do-able.

With uni, at the beginning of each semester, I always email my course coordinator with my uni reasonable adjustment plan. I also speak to them about supports they can provide if I ever have a mental health episode. This is part of starting on the right foot. All my lecturers have been super supportive.

Then, during the semester, I just do what I can. When I'm well, I make sure I do everything I need to plus extra (for the weeks to come). For weeks when I'm not so well, I just take it easy. If it means not touching my studies, so be it. I'm not going to stress over it. 

For assignments, I have the rubric always in front of me and work with that. For lectures, I attend live where I can, otherwise I listen to recordings.

I also have a large monthly schedule on my desk, and I put all important dates on it so I have a clear visual representation of my timeline and deadlines. Once I've completed a task, I have the joy of crossing it off the schedule.

These are just a few coping strategies I've developed.

Above all, eat well, sleep well, exercise and reach out for help when needed.

Once again, Welcome to the forums!

Im here if you need any support.

BPDSurvivor

Hi @Former-Member  @BPDSurvivor 

I too am studying with a mental illness. I certainly agree with @BPDSurvivor about creating a schedule, make it as explicit or general as you wish - whatever works for you! I also bought a whiteboard and markers from KMart to track what I need to do next - whiteboard was $12 and I love to draw boxes so I can tick them off! It's a visual reminder of my progress and saves me keeping everything in my head, I find that gets very confusing! Each uni should offer students a study diary, you can use this too! 

I journal to keep tracck of other things in my life (walking distance each day, diet, appointments, goals and progress) I have one from Saint Belford and they are fantastic for overthinkers like me! 

I also 'reward' myself: I set targets and allow myself a luxury after it's completed eg watch an episode of something oce I've completed the task. Im a list person and I find it gratifying. 

Always happy to chat too!

That's right @TFS29 ,

I forgot to mention treats! I ALWAYS treat myself. I set myself an achieveable goal (e.g. finish a really BORING reading), then I treat myself whether it's watching something, eating something, going out for a walk, playing with the bunnies, sitting in the sun... anything for a treat!

Your setup sounds great @TFS29 ! 

Let me know how you go. Happy for a chat anytime.

BPDSurvivor

Hi @Former-Member 

Tagging in @HenryX as he is great at being friendly and helpful with new forumites.

He has a whole thing saved to show people how to tag so I wont go into that now. 

Welcome to the forums. Pleased to meet you.

I studied at University a number of years ago but I found having a couple of timetables drawn up really helpful which I colour coded so I could easily see what I needed to do and what was coming up for me. You put everything you do on it including leisure activities. You include things like study times and when assignments are due etc. If you look on your University's web page under something like learning advisors you are sure to find a template for such a document already drawn up to help you. 

I am glad that you found the forums and wish you every luck with your study.

There are arts and crafts threads on here but I don't know how to link them. Maybe @Judi9877  can be of some assistance. There are also threads on Bipolar or other mental illness diagnoses depending on which diagnosis you have and the reason for the psychosis. It's hard to point you in the right direction with so little information.

Hope to see you around

Meggle

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hello all!

Still new to this forum so I hope I'm doing this right. I'll tag people in my response so they get a notification - but thanks to everyone that responded 🙂 and sorry for taking a while to respond...

@BPDSurvivor I also let my uni unit coordinators know of my needs and flexilbility that I may require for me to succeed in the course. I always get a bit hesitant about it because I struggle to word the emails in a respectful way. I've found that I like to use the term "fluctuating illness" to describe what I experience, as I think it captures my experiences well and the fact that I have good and bad days. My uni staff have been supportive as well!

@TFS29 Thanks for ur reponse! Little treats are the best. My treat is to go out and see friends but that's not as possible during lockdown... Atm, I enjoy watching documentaries on on-demand TV websites as a treat!

@Oaktree Hey! Thanks for reponding 🙂 Schedules are helpful but I'm not so good with visuals. I'm not sure why, but I store everything in my head, which sometimes works, but sometimes doesn't lol. I might try a whiteboard or something that I can erase and work on interactively. Thanks for the heads up though! I appreciate it. 

If anyone has any cool docos to watch - let me know! I am currently watching a doco called "Gayby Baby" on Stan, which is about children in australia being raised by parents of the same gender. Interesting. Also keeping up with some cool documentaries on SBS on demand and ABCiview. 🙂

Chat soon!

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hey @NatureLover 

Thanks for your response and the heads up 😄

I hope I did it right lol!

Take care

Hi @Former-Member !

Well done on diving in and posting! Awesome work on the tagging too!

Im glad you've been proactive about ensuring your success at uni. It certainly helps if you are upfront about things from the beginning. They are there to see you succeed.

Sounds like you're enjoying your documentaries - I prefer watching documentaries to anything else. But all in all, I prefer reading. Some people find it annoying, but I need subtitles when watching anything, otherwise I tune out. 

Anyway, nice hearing from you again. I've just finished a uni assignment today, so that's a win for me.

BPDSurvivor

@Former-Member  Perfect! 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance