Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

mirrormirror
Contributor

HI

HI

I'm new and I have enjoyed looking throught the forum. I hope this is an appropriate issue to raise. I have what should be a minor issue. I have a serious mental illness and live on the pension, unfortunately in a well off area. Has anyone experienced any kind of prejudice in this situation? I have found I am going about my suburb -and I have lived here from birth -and I get all kind of unsavoury suggestions about what I could be earning a living as. They are simply trying to upset me and I am aware I am probably childish getting so upset. But life would be simpler if I had a physical problem, at least from this perspective. I do have more serious problems to worry about, but this is not nice-I don't want to go into it into detail, because again I'm worried about appropriateness.

10 REPLIES 10
Zoe7
Community Guide

Re: HI

Unfortunately @mirrormirror there is such a lack of knowledge or even empathy for many living with a MI. What cannot be seen is often forgotten or dismissed. It is a state of society that needs to change - and there are many improvements in the mental health area but it also needs to be generational change ...and constant knowledge of the importance of MH and the occurrence of MI. What we do or don't do in regards to employment is no-one else's business - neither is the way we choose (or are forced through circumstances) to live our lives. These people obviously have no idea the extent to which we can suffer with a MI nor the effect it has on us both mentally and physically. You have every right to feel agrieved and every right to expect more respect. We can and should only be defined for the person we are and not what we do.

Thanks for answering. I think I only needed someone to acknowledge I had a problem, so that is very kind.

Zoe7
Community Guide

No problem at all @mirrormirror Happy to chat also if you want.

Sorry  to hear about your encounters.  Unfortunately a lot of the time society can be so judgmental regardless of where you live.  I find it harder to ward off those judgements when my mental health is struggling also.  Some days it easier to ignore than other.  Try and stay strong, look after yourself 

oceangirl
Senior Contributor

@Zoe7 wrote:

Unfortunately @mirrormirror there is such a lack of knowledge or even empathy for many living with a MI. What cannot be seen is often forgotten or dismissed. It is a state of society that needs to change - and there are many improvements in the mental health area but it also needs to be generational change ...and constant knowledge of the importance of MH and the occurrence of MI. What we do or don't do in regards to employment is no-one else's business - neither is the way we choose (or are forced through circumstances) to live our lives. These people obviously have no idea the extent to which we can suffer with a MI nor the effect it has on us both mentally and physically. You have every right to feel agrieved and every right to expect more respect. We can and should only be defined for the person we are and not what we do.

Well written Zoe- and I have similar views and values too @Zoe7 

oceangirl
Senior Contributor

@mirrormirror wrote:

HI

I'm new and I have enjoyed looking throught the forum. I hope this is an appropriate issue to raise. I have what should be a minor issue. I have a serious mental illness and live on the pension, unfortunately in a well off area. Has anyone experienced any kind of prejudice in this situation? I have found I am going about my suburb -and I have lived here from birth -and I get all kind of unsavoury suggestions about what I could be earning a living as. They are simply trying to upset me and I am aware I am probably childish getting so upset. But life would be simpler if I had a physical problem, at least from this perspective. I do have more serious problems to worry about, but this is not nice-I don't want to go into it into detail, because again I'm worried about appropriateness.

Hi @mirrormirror 

Welcome to the forum- we are a friendly bunch here. You can join any discussion. I hope you find connection, support, information and friendship. 

I agree with what zoe has written. Its not what you do that defines you but the person you're. 

Its noones business but I understand how you feel though.

Always remember that you're a good person and keep your chin up. 

Hello @mirrormirror 

Smiley Happy

Great to see you have already met a few people.

I heard a sense reading between the lines of your post, that you did not think your issue had value to share.  This forum is for all issues around mental health and illness and has made a special point about stigma.  I gather you feel grateful for many aspects of your experience, living in a secure situation, but struggle with judgment by those around you.  In a way it highlights the psycho-social issues often present in mental illness.  Its not always about choice, 'not fitting in', or being stubborn or wanting to be different, which also are hidden assumptions people can make about those struggling with MI. 

I am so glad you shared your story.  I have a niece who went to school in Toorak primary and secondary, and boy she struggled with petty opinions about clothing, as her mother always did the opshop runs.

They are just trolling you, big ugly and lacking in many decent qualities. Try and give their thoughts, statements or looks and bad behaviour ... the flick.

chibam
Senior Contributor

Hi @mirrormirror and Welcome to the forums!Smiley Very Happy

I can relate somewhat to your problems. I am not treated very respectfully because I don't have as much money as other people think I should. It creates all sorts of problems, doesn't it? When you are the outlier and everyone seems to be prejudist against you, but you can't entirely figure out why, or what it is your supposed to do to appease them?

I've actually found myself watching clips from that show "Struggle Street" and finding myself being envious of the people on there. I'm probably better off financially then those people, but what really strikes me is that a lot of those people have family - they have people who are on the same page as them and who respect their position and predicament. Some of them even have love, even though they don't have any money. My therapist tried to bully me into believing that that was impossible.

For all their hassles, I'd trade places with someone like that in a heartbeat.

BraveOne
Senior Contributor

It's awful to feel judged and categorised. I hear where you're coming from.
I too have been experiencing judgements as l happen to be currently living in a very affluent area. I've come from very humble beginnings and never have had huge earnings. I don't often tell people exactly where l live as they seem to think lm financially cashed up which is not the case.
Feeling debilitated with mental health issues is bad enough let alone feeling further ostracised by others judgements and expectations
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance