Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Anonymous12
New Contributor

Emotionally drained

Hi, 

Last year I'd posted about having a parent with extreme psychosis, who wouldn't seek help and denied that it was all in her head. 

I'm finding the psychosis comes and goes, but it sticks around longer then it goes away for. 
My mum in the past was diagnosed with BPD and in my opinion is a frequent user of ice, despite her denying this also. 
She gets twitchy, extremely paranoid and erratic when we think she's using. (As well as having some shady known drug user friends over).

Looking back, I think there's been a lot of manipulation and emotional abuse over the years. Arguments over nothing, the massive mood swings, constant belittling and degrading remarks.  

I'm struggling to stand on my own feet. We currently live in the same household, and I feel it'd be difficult to move away due to have animals with medical problems (horse and cat), which she is unable to care for (the psychosis also contributes to this). She's saying she wants to sell the house etc, but I feel this is also part of the emotional abuse side of it. Another part is, that she can't be home alone because she and the dogs are 'getting sprayed with chemicals' by all our neighbours.. so I'm never really given my own space and time.

I think I'm also struggling because I'm very low in confidence and self esteem. I'm a registered nurse, however she constantly puts me down regarding this too. 

How do I cope with the emotional abuse side of it? The paranoia related to the psychosis? 

Im worn out, this has been occurring over the last near abouts 2 years and I don't know how much more I can take. 
Also put down our dog yesterday, and instead of it running smoothly, my mum didn't spend the entire day with the dog, rocked up 30mins before and caused a massive argument, blaming everyone else. 
I'm still struggling to see a light. I'm exhausted and scared I'll never have my own life. I'm 23yo.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Emotionally drained

@Anonymous12 sorry to hear your pains. I have similar experiences with my mum and immediate family. I am52.and still struggling day to day. Very hard. 

@Anonymous12 , have you considered getting your own MH plan in place with a gp and psychologist? I can hear how draining it is to live with your mum.

@Anonymous12  Hi there. You are in a really difficult situation. 

Does your mother see a psych/counsellor. A good place to start, might be talking to your Dr. 

I think getting some support in place for yourself is really important. I don’t know if you are working atm, but maybe someone in your workplace might be able to help you.

I’m not sure much will change for your mother, until she decided to do something about her drug use, but you should not have to put up with her abuse.

I lived with a mother who abused alcohol, and had a narcissistic personality, so I really understand how your self confidence can take a massive nose dive.

It’s good you are talking to us here.

A forum tip is the @ brings a dropdown, and is how we tag each other.

Please try to take care of yourself.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance