Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

daisy20202-7
Senior Contributor

have a few questions about work and mainly vintage sound systems and space (this is going to be long so it may take a while to read)

hi everyone

have many questions and this is going to be long to read 

1. with these vintage sound system consoles and cabinets that has am/fm radio & tape player & record player & aux to plug bluetooth reciever/dab/internet radio/whatever is there a way to get the sound systems of today to sound the same as the vintage 70s-80s ones did in their day wether or not you build a retro cabinet.

or would trying to find 70s/80s original equipment be only way to get the same sound.

dont have the room or space to have the vintage equipment where you could play stuff or pull old vintage equipment to bits and try fix them and itll probably be 10 years before am finally in a position.

also am not in position yet to have own business to be able to do that and test and tag or work in setting them up in your area for people.

until youre able to get your own space to be able to have what things you want without affecting other people what could you do for now to be able to have somewhere even if it isnt ideal and try to make do.

2. was wondering if you dont have your own space to be able to have a vintage stereo setup and be able to play it when you want and store them and be able to get some and try fix them/get good parts what would you do and what solution is there that may allow you 10 plus years to get it

used to try fix vintage stereos years and years back and had one and want to get back into it as a hobby but space doesnt allow at moment.

also dont yet work in a job that does particularly vintage systems and electronics where you set them up.

3. am looking at some point to be own boss and do stuff and was wondering wether it might be a good idea to follow that persons advice at local mens shed and start planning now even if you dont actually do anything anytime soon because am starting to want a change and thinking that might do that next and just sort of planning while theres still heaps of time to explore and then will be ready for when time comes as it will eventually come just matter of when and the person advised start planning now even if you dont do anything tomorrow.

if running a business of your own doing test and tag (single/3 phase) and replace cords/plugs/sockets and check emergency exit lights and fix basic plug in appliances and attach cords what expenses are there each week/month/year and how much money would you need to start it.

what equipment would you need.

4. would there be a way to get the newer lightweight stereo equipment and audio reciever to sound like a vintage hifi system or is original equipment the only way.

could you make mp3 files sound like a cassette tape or a record or make the file sound like its playing on a old stereo system.

what speakers and usb/sd card player would you need to be able to have the vintage sound or close to it on a compact lightweight system.

5. what would be a way to meet a girl and find friends similar age when you work every weekend and every public holiday when people that age are usually out and about until youre in a position to change jobs and only have to work normal work weeks and have scheduled yearly leave and uninterrupted lunch breaks.

havent done anything yet because the current owners are good overall and time isnt yet right but once it is will be doing something as starting to want a change and its best to start planning while you still have plenty time even if you dont do anything tomorrow.

thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Re: have a few questions about work and mainly vintage sound systems and space (this is going to be long so it may take a while to read)

Hi @daisy20202-7 ,

A very interesting post. I'm just messaging to say I've read your entire post - twice, but it's jibberish to me 🙂

Sorry for my ignorance. I can't help in this area. I hope you find someone who can help!

BPDSurvivor

Re: have a few questions about work and mainly vintage sound systems and space (this is going to be long so it may take a while to read)

Hi @daisy20202-7 I too like @BPDSurvivor have read your post dont know anything much about techno things.

At your Mens Shed that you mentioned, they should be able to guide you with adice on the testing and tagging part, apparently you need some sort of Qualification and the Gear like the box etc can cost up to 10.000 thou on a good day.

The music sound I think your chasing you will find on youtube if if you put in the year of the vintage, hopefully with out having to build your sound systems. with costs and space etc.

I hope this helps, its always great to have a plan thanks for sharing it from @Clawde 

you can download music wether or not from that day but sound isnt quite the same as those old hifi  systems and wondered how you could get secured space with no uncertinty to get old systems and work on them.

is there a way to get the mp3 file to sound like its coming from a old hifi system if you were to put it on a stick or sd card

also do you guys think itd be better to follow that persons advice and start planning the next job move (test and tag) now even if you take 5 years as itll probably take that long anyway and you never know when time comes it could be a year or could be 5 years

@daisy20202-7 

Re: getting vintage sound.

I'm no expert on audio. But my understanding that a huge element of sound character is the quality and acoustics of the speakers you are using. You mention "compact" & "lightweight" systems, and I assume by that you are talking about units with relatively small speakers. By contrast, when you talk about "vintage sound", I presume you are talking about those hifis with the big, 2-3ft. tall speaker boxes, complete with woofers, tweeters and midrange speakers inside them.

My understanding is that if you don't have the right speaker array, you'll never get the sound character your looking for.

Additionally, I know that a lot of people say that there's a definite noticeable differance in quality between classic, analog recording methods (e.g. vinyl, tapes) and digital (e.g. MP3s). Personally, I've never been able to hear any degradation in quality in a lossless MP3; but others will swear blind that vinyl is a million times better.

There are probably audio manipulation software packages out there that come with filters that might help you to convert digital audio into vintage-sounding stuff. Most of the decent ones probably cost an arm and a leg, but sometimes you can be lucky and find some really good freeware or open source stuff online, if your prepared to spend 4 or 5 hours on Google.

But in all honesty, I suspect that having the right speakers will be about 80% of your challenge.

Also keep in mind the acoustics of the room where you set things up, too.

As for the rest of your queries, I'm afraid I don't have any answers. Business & money management have never been strong suits for me; and I'm just as in the dark as you are, re: meeting compatable people to form relationships with.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance