Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Jake63
Senior Contributor

The book Minding your Mind comes highly recommended!

Hi everyone, 

I recently finished reading the book Minding your Mind -- I thought to let everyone know about it on these forums because I thought many would want to know about a book that, really at core, does a superb job of make clear just what we can all do to take care of our mental health. Below I have attached a link to the book. 

If I may, I would like to share a quote that really resonated with me a lot: 

“As Adults, we generally become more independent and autonomous. We are more likely to be able to decide, ‘Actually, I don’t want to fit in with that group. Trying to be like them is not making me happy or content.’ Ultimately, we realize we have preferences and choices, but this can be a long and complicated process for humans. The more autonomy we have, the more important it is for us to keep learning about ourselves: What makes us happy? What makes us unhappy? What groups do we feel comfortable, and uncomfortable, in? Who do we like being around? Who do we find it difficult to relax with? What are the things we will not compromise on? The more we know, the better decisions we can make.”

https://www.booktopia.com.au/minding-your-mind-james-o-loghlin/book/9780143778783.html?source=pla&gc...

5 REPLIES 5

Re: The book Minding your Mind comes highly recommended!

Hi @Jake63 !

Thanks for this recommendation. Sounds like a really useful book. You are such a big reader and that's so great. I used to be able to read for hours but my eyes get a bit sore these days. Ah, middle-aged can be really crapy sometimes lol.

Wishing you a wonderful day

Hanami

Good morning @hanami

It is very lovely to hear from you. 

Ah yes, middle aged, I am but 31 so I cannot say I know just how you feel. But I would say this: middle age does not have to be bad I think. 

It makes me think that by the time I have reached my middle age years, I will hopefully have achieved some of my most important goals: getting my PhD, finished writing my book, gotten married, and who knows maybe I will have wrote a second book! By the time I am middle aged, I would like to think that with my book having been published, someone read it and it made them happy and given them some joy. If at least 1 person reads my book and it makes them happy then I will know that I have succeeded as a writer. Speaking of my book, it is fast approaching 1 year that I will have been working on it. When I say working I mean reading and writing --- NOT --- editing because Goodness knows that comes later. 

Hi @Jake63 

Oh you're just a baby to me at 31 hehe!

I love that you have all those goals. I've definitely achieved some things at my age but still striving towards others. I still feel young even though I have young adult children now! They keep me young which is great. 

Talk soon!

Hanami

Thanks for link @Jake63 

I love the quote you chose.

Oh thanks - isn't it beautiful!
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance