Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

FormerColleague
New Contributor

Resources to help in applying for DSP or similar?

A former colleague of mine has been in a dark place for quite some time.

We haven't worked together in quite some time, but somehow have maintained an email connection over the years, with a few visits in between. The colleague has been in a dark place for quite some time (to the point where once I considered trying to call CAT team).

They have significant anxiety, sensitivity to particular settings, sounds, sights, phrases, an aversion to cooking with a very restrictive diet and a degree of body dysmorphia, and have told me one person diagnosed them with dependent, schizophrenic and obsessive tendencies (I apologise if I have the terminology wrong - I have no access to their medical history, just what they tell me).

Their experiences have taken them to a place that can be hard to listen to sometimes - reminisicing about the times past (alongside a fear of societal change) with a decidedly gender and race centric view that has sexist and racist overtones (without implying deliberate malintent, I fear it sounds a little "incel" at times), which is why I tend to limit our engagement to email so I pace our interaction to ensure I remain fit to provide support. It also means that even the most well intentioned person of a given gender or race might not get through to him.

Up until about, maybe, three-four years ago, they were employed, but had to take a lot of time off work as their condition worsened. Eventually it got to the point where they needed to fall back on their super provided income insurance, and now it's coming to the point where that's running out.

They've started the process a couple of times of trying to apply for DSP or similar, but every time they try, they find the process very brutal and dehumanising. My fear is their revulsion and anxiety towards and around the process, and their difficulty engaging with society, will mean they come to the end of income support with no means of maintaining even the basics. Their family does not have the means to support them, with all other family members having their own issues.

They said a psych had started to help them with the process, but when the psych started to speak of points and "depression not being enough", they gave up.

I understand as an untrained lay person, I can't do much. So I listen, and try to acknowledge their pain as best I can, trying not to "fix" things - I just worry they'll end up homeless if they don't get their paperwork sorted. What resources are available for people needing to try and navigate the social security system in this case?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Resources to help in applying for DSP or similar?

Hi @FormerColleague !

I want to say what a kind person you sound like. Being able to support someone and maintain that connection for so long, even though you find yourself confronted with some of their views, is a real strength. I am doubly impressed by your boundaries around communiication.

I have looked through the Forums and found a thread from earlier in the year about tips for DSP claims that may be useful. Here it is. 🙂 

Applying for DSP can be an extremely draining and frustrating process. As much as information is useful I think the support you are providing to your former colleague is also immensely valuable.

Take care,
- periwinklepixie

You're a very good friend @FormerColleague . But your friends condition sounds quite extreme if you are only able to talk to him via email without becoming overwhelmed yourself. That means you wouldn't have a complete picture of his financial situation.

I only say this because when my Psychiatrist suggested that I apply for the DSP I knew I had to start at the very beginning and read their income and assets rules. What was the point of diving in head first to a really stressful process that could make me unwell again, if I didn't even qualify and pass the income and assets tests. I would start there. 

I would then spend time on researching the disability criteria. Some of it is quite vague, and it takes a while to get your head around it and Centrelink's definitions. You have to be 'fully treated, diagnosed ' and 'stabilised'.....and I have never heard of anyone being diagnosed with 'schizophrenic tendencies', I think Centrelink would want clarification on this and that your friend's application may be rejected. 

It has to be diagnosed by either a Psychiatrist, or if you can't get into a Psychiatrist, from memory a GP and a Clinical Psychologist have to diagnose you together. I am assuming that they allow this because of the cost and lack of Psychiatrists, but I am not sure. You have to also remember that Centrelink have their own Psychiatrists and doctors that review the information that is provided. He would have to be seen by a Centrelink Psychiatrist or Clin Psych as part of the application process. 

Another option he could look into at the same time is Total and Permanent Disability through his superannuation insurance if he was paying for that. 

Secondly, I know that 'the system' gets a lot of flack, but it is the only one we have, and it may surprise you, you may luck out and be linked in with someone really helpful.

Call the CAT team next time.

I don't understand it when I read of people hesitating out of what I see as pride. There was an article in the ABC a few days back, a young women was saying how desperately unwell she was, SI for months, the medical team at the local hospital wanted to admit her when she presented at ER, she was like, errr, ohhh no thanks I don't want the stigma of a MH admission.....What the hell!. The poor doctors are dammed if they do, and dammed if they don't. Sometimes it is not 'the system' at all, it is the patient. They think that they are better than an image they have in their head of what a person with MI looks like and they're not. They are just a regular person, like the rest of us with MI. 

It's not until you are flagged on the system that other unadvertised government supports materialise that you didn't know existed. They don't tell anyone about these, they just wait until your really sick and have no other options, that's why it is not the end of the world to call the CAT team or see if anything through your Primary Health Network is available. 

I would also not hesitate to contact his family. Good luck, but yeah, start at the beginning by thoroughly reading all the info online, I wouldn't dive right in to an application without researching it first. And I wouldn't listen to the Psychologist that said, 'depression may not be enough'......people are on the DSP for lots of different psychiatric illnesses, you don't have to have schizophrenia or bipolar, I was approved for PTSD. But yeah, don't protect his pride, you are doing him a disservice, he is no better than any one else, Corny. 

Thanks.. @Corny and @periwinklepixie ..

You're right in that I don't have a complete picture, in that it's purely their perspective I'm hearing. It's probably been roughly six and a half years since we've been conversing about their mental health. There have been phonecalls, and instant messages, and text messages at times... but these mediums demand a certain immediacy I can't always provide. As the incel and racist stuff ramped up - there was a time where I didn't know whether to call it out or not. I mean, we're not supposed to, as a community, let things like that slide.. but I found when I challenged it, they just spiralled into a mixture of diatribe and self loathing so I just don't engage with that part of what they say and see it as them venting their frustration at their situation.

They have a strong distrust of the medical professions, and have been known to dabble in "alternative therapies" due to a dissatisfaction with what they perceive as regular medicine not knowing enough about mental health. I'm not entirely sure they have a regular GP or psych because of this.. particularly when the professionals assigned haven't been white and male.

I will try and compile together the suggestions you both have provided, as well as from the other thread and suggest to them.

That's really hard @FormerColleague if he's pushing back and not wanting help, but if he doesn't have a GP maybe a social worker at a hospital could help him if he was admitted. Or if there is a local community mental health team, they may be able to help with DSP & NDIS applications. My community mental health team definitely provide that service in my area.

It's very difficult if someone has low insight, a combative attitude or simply refuses to engage in treatment. It seems like he has done a lot of self diagnosis and is rigid in his perspective and thoughts. 

It's not easy applying for payment of income insurance through superannuation and he seems to have managed that OK on his own without your help. Don't fall into the trap of inducing 'learnt helplessness' in the guy. Like the chick in the ABC article.....how bad can it be if you're still concerned with your reputation before your health. Some people are  just up themselves, maybe your mate is up himself, and could chow down on a big piece of Humble Pie. Corny 

You or your friend can phone one of the Local Area Coordinators like Feros Care or Baptcare and ask them to home visit to assist with firstly NDIS support and also DSP application. Alternatively Anglicare are fantastic in supporting people as well. If the person is able to go to the service even better but if they have socially declined and don't go out then this can be explained and someone will visit them. 

Good luck. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance