Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Fromthemist
Casual Contributor

Photography and mental health

The Mental Illness Fellowahip of Australia is running a photo competition as part of Mental Health Week. It costs but there are discounts, and about $10,000 in prizes. Open to anyone with a mental illness or those close to us. You can find out more about it here http://www.outfromthemist.com

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Photography and mental health

Thanks for sharing @Fromthemist, we have a few photographers here who may be interested. Are you a photographer yourself? 

I'm an off and on photographer... can spend a couple of months gettng right into photography, and then something happens and it drifts away. But I never loose my enjoyment of visual images - a language of their own.

I'm just (very slowly) starting up a photography business so this is perfection @Fromthemist ! Thanks for sharing!

Hope to see your entry! There is a code for a 40% discount on the entry page if you self identify as beining on a low income.

G'day All

Anyone else interested in photography?

Cheers, Tom

pn_intro_b-2 comp.jpg

Sunset Wallaby, Mount Korong (VIC), 2018

1/15-sec  f-11  125-mm  ISO-100

Thanks for the thumbs up @Eliza22 

The reason I ask if there are any other photographers in the house, is because I know photography has helped me, and I wonder what the experience of others may be.

My major diagnosis is BPD, with a few minors thrown. Around 4-years ago I bought myself an entry-level DSLR camera. I watched a lot of Youtube videos on the twin subjects capturing and post-producing images. At the same time I went out to generally very quiet and peaceful settings, turned the dial to M (for manual) and proceeded to shoot anything that piqued my interest. Today, I am still out there shooting, when I am well enough.

For me, photography provides a legitimate excuse to spend hours immersing one's self in beautiful and interesting surrounds. Sure, plenty of times I have had to pack up and head home after having a major panic attack, etc. But for the most part, the experiences have been good. Sometimes, they have been almost zen-like.

So, are there any other people out there with similar (or not) storys?

Kind regards, Tom

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance