Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

BraveOne
Senior Contributor

Intergenerational trauma

I've been reading this book : It didn't start with You by Mark Wolynn and it's awesome to explain how trauma is passed through the family. Your thoughts and behaviour may belong to ancestors whose trauma is stuck. Absolutely fascinating and liberating to look at another angle and how we may be reliving unresolved trauma in our family that is looking for resolution. Screenshot_20201008-111835_Chrome.jpg

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Intergenerational trauma

@BraveOne  there was a study done on Jewish holocaust survivors and their children and grandchildren and it actually showed that it was the grandchildren who suffered more mental health issues then their parents and grandparents. It is an interesting study which should be available online.

Interesting @BraveOne thanks for your post

No worries

Yeh makes sense. There's lots of stories like this in the book whereby certain thoughts and experiences belonged to a grandparent. When acknowledged it can be resolved

@BraveOne  Hello and Welcome to the forum.

Smiley Happy

There is a lot of work needed in this area.  Acknowledged trauma, like the bushfires or a war, has a socially recognised existence, and concern and understanding is usually given by the community.  It may only partly ameliorate the issues, but it is something, but if the source of trauma is not understood, then anxiety and uncertainty can accumulate, with out 'apparent' cause. 

I came to understand both my parents diagnoses of severe mental illness as coming from trauma in their pasts.  Still struggling with the consequences though.

Great to hear you've found some understanding. Yes there's always more to go. I don't think we realise the depth of how this filters down the generations. I'm discovering things all the time!

Thank you! I will try to get a copy.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance