Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

hanami
Senior Contributor

World Elder Abuse Awareness Day

TW: ABUSE

World Elder Abuse Awareness Day

❤️❤️❤️

hanami_0-1655264545889.png

Today is World Elder Abuse Awareness Day. It is a day that is commemorated each year on June 15th to highlight one of the worst manifestations of ageism and inequality in our society, elder abuse.

Senior Rights Victoria defines elder abuse as: “Any act which causes harm to an older person and is carried out by someone they know and trust such as a family member or friend. The abuse may be physical, social, financial, psychological or sexual and can include mistreatment and neglect.”

The term ‘elder abuse’ can be confronting for many of us. It’s hard to comprehend that an older person’s own family members could actually be abusive towards them. A paper from the Australian Institute of Family Studies estimated the prevalence of elder abuse to be between 2% and 14%, with neglect occurring at possibly higher rates 

What should I do if I suspect elder abuse?

Elder abuse is distressing, and finding someone who understands the sensitive and confidential nature of the issue can help you in deciding what to do if you suspect an older person is being mistreated or exploited.

If someone is in immediate danger, call 000.

Remember that physical and sexual abuse are criminal acts. Other types of abuse are assessed on their particular circumstances.

Where it is appropriate, ask general questions about the person’s wellbeing and their relationships.

Blame and judgement are never helpful. Listen to what the older person says and be understanding.

Understand that older people are often hesitant to cause trouble, as they may feel ashamed or worried about possible consequences.

Often, an older person feels protective of their adult children who may be mistreating or exploiting them. The adult child may have drug or alcohol dependency, mental health issues or difficult circumstances or challenges that are contributing to the abusive situation. An older person is more likely to accept help if they think their adult child’s needs will be considered and addressed.

Reassure the older person that there is help available. The Older Person's Advocacy Network can offer advice on support.

If they are unwilling to get help, provide them with emotional support and offer contact details of support services should they want them later. Keep checking in on them where possible.

It’s important that an older person feels in control of the help-seeking process.

👴   OLDER PEOPLE ARE AWESOME!  👵

Older people are essential in the fabric of our society. It’s time for us to acknowledge their importance and recognise they are entitled to the respect of their communities and especially their families. To end this awareness post on a positive note, we think it would be a great idea to celebrate the wonderful contributions of older people in our communities. We would love for you to share a positive story about an older person in your life!  

We know that this may be a painful subject for some members of the community, so we'd urge you to reach out to Lifeline 13 11 14, or our help centre on 1800 187 263 if you'd like some extra support

1 REPLY 1

Re: World Elder Abuse Awareness Day

Thank you so much for this post @hanami , it's such an important issue to be aware of, but something that's often swept under the carpet.

Thanks as well for the prompt to reflect on the amazing contributions of older people in our communities 💜 I was lucky enough to have three of my grandparents into my life until they were in their mid 90s, which meant that they were able to meet my children. Seeing the bond between the old and young was truly wonderful- my Nana had endless patience, would play Uno for hours, and would always give children that most magical gift of undivided attention! I used to facilitate an intergenerational playgroup (which became super popular after Old People's Home for 4 years olds came out) 

and learning songs together and hearing about people's lives was truly wonderful

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance