Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Aw84
Contributor

need some support

Hi all,

Things arent looking good at the moment. My wife has had her foot operated on and is recovering at home while I look after her. Combined with the anxiety over my unemployment, she spends a lot of time crying. I tend to shut off automattically when she does this, I try to comfort her but truthfully im becomeing pretty anxious about this whole situation too.

Its only the two of us, and while we have friends and family, its really only each other we have to lean on day to day, and i feel im not great at being supportive. I don't posses some emotional skills (as ive mentioned in previous posts) and i feel this situation is starting to get out of hand and causing both of us a lot of distress.

I feel if i cant get a break in the medical admin field, i may need to choose another industry. like I've posted before, I know I've talked about volunteering  too, but not getting any hits there either.Ive been applying for work daily for the last 8 months and not getting anywhere. i cant even find  work at a local supermarket.

I feel this will have a fairly bleak outcome. i don't know what im doing wrong and why im not getting anywhere. and i feel like im dragging my wife down with me as well. Im not eligible for centerlink benefits, I've signed up to employment agencies, i even created a linkedin profile.

Any further support or advice would be really good. i know probably not much can be done other to keep on trying, but im really losing traction here, and don't know how much more of this i can cope with, before having another mental breakdown.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: need some support

Hey @Aw84, sorry to hear things aren't looking good at the moment. You and your wife are both going through a lot right now and we can understand the extra pressure to be a support for each other every day. We're sure you are doing the best you can. How is your wife's recovery from the operation going? Does your wife have a doctor with whom she can share how she is feeling?

Re: need some support

@Aw84  Hi Aw84 I haven't seen your other post sorry but just wanted to say Hi and to give you some support as I know how hard it is when life seems to conspire against you. Have you thought about doing some study while you are looking for work? an online course at uni maybe? There are quite a few free online courses which are conducted by various universities which would beef up your resume. It also looks good for employers to see that you are doing study whilst you are looking for work.

I hope my little bit helps and please keep in touch and let us know how it goes for you and your wife. greenpea

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance