Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

WombatBoots
Community Elder

Winter Blues, any experiences?

I've heard this expression ... so any times,

The shortest day of the year was yesterday, there are new studies out (lots) that say it is justified.

10 years ago when I brought it up with a practictioner, he didn't laugh, but he should have, he just had that look, ..... i know you all know "that" look

Even though it's still winter I love july/august/septeber because the sun starts coming back.

Does anyone have the same sort of feelings?

and yes the start of march I start taking a daily complex vitamin D, maybe placebo but I find it does work

Today has been beautiful, I' lucky to have a back deck, I've been out here enjoying a lovey day and been productive as well.

Looking back all of my lowest episodes, they have been seasonal (now) anyone else?

(alt + 3) to you all

wombat/matt

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Winter Blues, any experiences?

@WombatBoots

What state/city are you in? I'm in Melbourne - it's COOOOLD. So yes, so happy that the we made it through the toughest part. I'm looking forward to longer days and the sun! Smiley Very Happy

Absolutely, the short days get me down. Some of my main hobbies (gardening, chooks, running) involve being outdoors and it is really hard when it is too dark when I leave for work, and too dark by the time I get home Not to mention the cold! Brrrrr.

I can't wait for the days to get longer and to feel like I am having some time to treat myself again - evenings spent inside just aren't the same.

@WombatBoots

I often talk about it now as it is an easy topic to address publicly in a light but feeling manner in general conversation, as an ice-breaker.

When I was a young, many young women were talking about pre menstrual syndrome being the casue of bad moods. I did not have any experience of that maybe I was lucky, but maybe I could not afford to whinge, or did not know to do it in nice society. I am getting better .. slow learner.

I dont pay too much attention to it as fashions come and go.  It helps to be MINDFUL of anything that effects our moods but not let us collapse our whole being due to one or two issues.

I then talk about cosy things now that I am lucky enough to be able to have that as part of my life.  Homeless people dont have those luxuries so I try to stay connected to them too as it is part of my past.  See them in town on a regular basis.  I try to see all things in context.

Do whatever you need to warm yourself through the colder months, psychically and physically

Former-Member
Not applicable

I am feeling down and wondering if it's the seasonal depression. It is difficult to get motivated to exercise when it's cold outside and short days.

Sounds incredibly logical and SANE to me.

For me it is the lack of sunshine and warmth. I love the rain in the bush and on the tin roof. Yet I must be warm or at lest have a warm place to go. @WombatBoots thanks for the tip of taking vitamin D. At lest these days I realise how I am triggered off and can do little things that are helpful. Like keeping the fire burning all day.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance