Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Denv12
Senior Contributor

When The Helpers Need Help From Us.

I hope I posted this in the right place.

Just recently one of my friends,who is retired,and helps me at times,he rang me. Something in his voice made me think something was wrong.He explained that he couldnt remember who he was and he didnt know where he was at that moment.This isnt the first time he has experienced brief memory loss.I had to act quickly.I asked if he was in a house,he said yes.I asked him to sit down.I calmed him down and told him that he's likely to be in his own home.He said he found my phone number on his mobile phone and thought I'm someone he knows.We talked for 10 minutes.             He seemed to be okay by then.We ended the call. About 30 minutes later he rang back.His memory came good and he even remembered that he had rang me before. He was so grateful.This experience helped me learn how to deal with it so if it happens again I can go through those step by steps with him or anyone else.I'm glad he was home and not out in his car somewhere.I can only imagine how frightened he was at the time. I told him to write it in a diary just so he can see when its happened before. And,he should write out a list of things to do if it happens again and keep the list near the phone.I learnt a lot that day.I am so glad I could be there for him.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: When The Helpers Need Help From Us.

@Denv12  Hi Denv12 that must have been so frightening for you friend and is definitely worthwhile investigating with a health professional particularly if it happens again. Your suggestions to your friend are spot on and I hope he follows them. In our family we all help each other to varying degrees. We work in a little unit and depend upon each other and it works well most of the time lol. 

Good topic Denv12. Love peax

Hi @greenpea .

Thank you for your kind support.

He did get help from there.I'm glad for his sake.He was wise at the time to call me despite the moment causing him the problems.

Love Denv12.

@greenpea @Denv12 

It is good when we can wear both helper and helpee hats.

I had a friend I admired who is struggling with dementia, actually there are 2 friends now, part of my demographic I guess, getting older.Smiley Sad

Smiley Happy

Cheers and Take Care

Hi @Denv12 .    Thanks for posting that story.  Very interesting and thought provoking.  A great outcome from a very scary situation for you both.  You handled it perfectly.  WELL DONE!!!!!  (I am applauding whilst typing if that is possible).  

As we all get older, that thought of all of a sudden not knowing who or where you are becomes more prevalent.    It could happen to any one of us at anytime.  Frightening.  I just hope that if it happens to me that I have a wonderful, caring friend like you who will calm me down and reassure me that all will be well.  

Blessings to you  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi @Appleblossum.
It makes you stop thinking about your own problems while focusing on someone elses.
Denv12.

Hi @Scarecrowe .

Thank you for your kind thoughts.What a beautiful way to express your thoughts.I'm so glad I was there.I wanted to be that friend to him that he has always been to me.The fact he remembered he had talked to me at that time is amazing.Just shows how not all of his memory at that moment was gone.

Thank yo for your support.

Regards Denv12. xxxxxxxxx.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance