Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

GGV
Casual Contributor

Unfamiliar Territory

A family member had a mental breakdown . I suppose you could call it a psycotic episode a couple of days ago..It was on the cards but never to this extreme He hears voices and has refused meds.There is a history of mental illness. He has never been diagnosed with any condition. But we all knew there was something not quite right. He is an adult.We also feel his son has a mental illness as well. We will be getting his son assessed but we just don't know how to deal with this at the moment.We are there to support but the voices are convincing him he needs to be punnished and not to take the medication because he doesn't deserve to get better

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Unfamiliar Territory

Hi @GGV,

Welcome to the Forums.

It can be tough trying to help your family members when he doesn't believe he should be helped, particularly when they are experiencing what sounds like delusions and hearing things.

One thing to be mindful is that things your family member is experiencing is very really for him. It's as real as you reading the words on the screen right now. So avoid arguing about what might not be real. Be gentle and attempt to connect emotions with their experiences. You can read more about this here.

It's great that his son is getting assessed. May I ask if you've broached this subject with him? If you have, how did it go? .

You might  also find reading this thread on pychosis useful. This thread was a Topic Tuesday discussion where we had people with lived experiences, carers and a psychologist all contribute their own experiences and or advice about how to support some who is experiencing psychosis. I wonder if any of our members can provide some advice here @kenny66 @soul @Shadow @Louise @Sheybridge @Linmerc

Hope this helps,

CB

The thing to understand is that the experience of a psychotic episode is only irrational to the observer. Whilst experiencing it, all that happens feels perfectly ordinary and believable.

When I am mid a PE it is absolutely no point trying to talk me out of any delusion. Best thing is to sort of go with it until things settle down.

Not being compliant with medication is a problem because it is the medication which resolves the symptoms.

Unfortunately sometimes I do go the hospital if the episode is severe and this is my fall back position.

It is really important to get proper assessment and treatment, a process which takes a long time.

As I said, non confrontation and gentle persuasion is the safest course.

kenny

Thank You for the insight of this disease.It is a very trying time for our family.He is still refusing medication.if only there was a way pf convincing him it will help him,like I said he thinks he doesn't deserve help..The Dr said if he is released and still refused meds the family will have to care for him  and keep a close eye on him at all times .He has separated an if left along he will harrass his spouse.We have had to take the phone off him and stop him from driving.

When i was playing up badly and having one psychotic episode after another and wouldn't take my antipsychotics I was give monthly injection of a long lasting medication.

There are 3 that I know of for schizophrenia and BP2 that can be used this way.

This gives you 4 weeks of being medication compliant. By the time the 4 weeks was up I was feeling a lot better and by 8 weeks I was much better.

I was quite pleased to stay in the MHU until I got better and maybe that is an option for him.

I was forced to stay in there one time. so maybe if he is threatening his spouse it might be a reason to compel him to stay there involuntarily.

I can tell you that just being let out before you are stable is a really bad idea.

If you can organise the monthly injections of medication, that might give some breathing space to get other things in place.

kenny

Are you able to try to convince him to try a medication for a month?

Does he have depression or low self esteeem in conjunction with the voices or is his self esteem etc good?

Self esteem no good definatley won't take medication has depression all of the above. He has been released from hospital, Drs amazed the turn around  conditioned improved.I think it's too soon to come to any conclusion..but I'm still not convinced.It might be all smoke and mirrors so to speak. His parents will be taking  him into there care. I feel he will need round the clock care as he settles into a new enviroment.

Unfortunately if you are being told by voices that you shouldn't take the medication because you dont deserve it, then you probably wont be able convince him to take it of his own volition.

I was convinced that I was being controlled by the medication no there was no way you were going to get me to take a pill I thought would turn me into a robot.

That's why the injection that lasts for a month is such a good idea.

Its just a painless procedure and maybe you can tell him he is having a flu shot or something positive he can relate to like a vitamin shot. Just don't mention its medication.

By week 8 I was ok being compliant with my medication but had a noticeable improvement just after the injection time onwards. Its slow release so it is very effective over that period of time.

I cant tell from your post what the involvement of his psychiatrist is in all of this but mine took a very interventionist approach to get on top of it which I found was crucial.

I should have also mentioned that a very gentl non confrontational approach is very important during delusional and paranoid episodes.

kenny

Hi Kenny He was not under a  psychiatrist. This has only just happened even though it's been brewing for years .... While he has been in hospital I presume he has been seeing a psychiatrist. Now that he is in his parents care and has refused med thay have been informed the next slight change they have to report it immediatley and he will then be forced to take the meds.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance