Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Dark_Olena
Senior Contributor

That really happened

I took a huge leap today and called out to the people that manage my daughter’s provider invoices paid by ndis. Sometimes I just push it out of mind and ignore it all. I know thats not a good thing. I dont trust any support workers right now, one was using her phone flat out while driving my daughter around and the next week another Support worker lost control of her car while driving my daughter home from dance lessons, the car rolled and my daughters only injuries were to her of a mental health nature, no physical injury. I started relaying all this to their lady who is one of staff that manages funds. I know this was not a good idea and then she hung up on me, I think i overwhelmed her. I took it as rejection and feel like I cant talk to anybody. I do feel like I asked her questions that were out of her experience. Of course I think it’s all on me. I’m depressed. Feeling hopeless. /thanks for reading

4 REPLIES 4

Re: That really happened

hey @Dark_Olena, it does sounds like a big and important step that you've taken to ensure your daughter is getting the care she deserves. I can imagine that it might have been the first time this person heard about what was happening, and it might be overwhelming because it's not right or fair that these things have happened. 

And it must feel lonely feeling like you have nobody to talk to about things like this. Do you have any supports you can reach out to? 

Here are a few things which might be helpful for you

Hi @Dark_Olena,

I'm sorry to read how you are feeling - depression and hopeless are feelings I have experienced throughout some parts of my life so I understand somewhat how you are feeling. 

Calling out someone can be a hard thing to do and if you are a person like me that would rather avoid confrontation / put it on the back burner because it isn't an easy thing for some people to do. Having said that, as a parent I know that instinct to protect your children and speak up even if it doesn't feel natural. The fact that a support worker was using their phone while driving your daughter and another had a car accident with your daughter in the car I think completely justifies your feelings and your reasons for speaking up. Support workers are in a position of trust and from the actions you have mentioned they are not doing their job in a capacity that they should. They have a duty of care to ensure your daughter's safety at all time. 

I am glad that your daughter is okay physically but as you said her mental health has been impacted due to this incident and that can be just as significant (if not more) than physical injuries sometimes. 

Would you find it beneficial to email your concerns to the organisation? That way you could put your thoughts down on `paper' and edit what you want to say as many times as you need to ensure you have said what you want to say in a way you want to say it? It would also (hopefully) ensure that you get a written response back from the organisation you are dealing with. I find if I am emotive when talking with people (whether it be sad, angry, frustrated, etc) I can get emotional and then I can't always think clearly and say what I want to say. Also when you engage with a person in conversation it can mean the conversation may go off track, get heated etc. Writing things out means you can stick to what you want to say and stay on track.

I really hope you are okay because you had the right to ask questions around people that are entrusted to care for your daughter. At the end of the day you are just trying to ensure your daughter's safety. I also hope you daughter is okay.

Warm regards,

FloatingFeather

Hey @Dark_Olena Navigating NDIS can be tricky.

Was the person you spoke to just the payment people?  They tend to outsource everything and there is a different company for everything.  One might think that the people who pay are the final arbiters, but from my reading of things, they are just one of many and often called plan managers, but they are more bookkeepers.  NDIA Delegates may be the people to discuss things with if you have real concerns about safety.  The NDIA authority has more power the NDIS service.

@Dark_Olena that's terrible that the drivers have been unsafe. It reminded me of when I worked for a service for a short time that had questionable drivers. One of the participants confided in me that his other drivers was really unsafe and that he was afraid to go in the car with him. I suggested that he report this to the manager of the service but he said he was afraid to speak up. It made me worry that there are other support worker who drive participants unsafely! 

I'm sorry you've been made to feel this way. 

Sending my best wishes

Hanami

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance