Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Supporting an already Depressed Partner through Cancer diagnosis

Keeping you in thoughts @Former-Member

images (148).jpeg

thinking of you @Former-Member HeartHeartflowers.jpeg

Wow thanks so much @Former-Member and @Shaz51, those pics are truly beautiful. Thank you both so very much for thinking of me right now. I'm not doing that well personally, so everything seems so much harder 'carer wise' then. So your thoughts and your lovely pics mean a lot to me right now.  And also @outlander @Zoe7 @Former-Member, sorry to not have responded sooner, I so much appreciate all of you. But as mentioned, I've been struggling personally of late, and everything just seems too hard.
Sherry 🤗🌸💕

Have known you are struggling Hon and know it is hard to find words when you are struggling so haven't wanted to hassle you to talk. We are here for you though @Former-Member when and if you need. Tag any of us here (or on any thread) and we will be there to listen and support - but only when you are ready Hon Heart

I know there is a big date coming up for you too and we both know how hard those times can be so reach out - you don't even need to say anything - just a tag will let us know you need support. Sitting with you when you need Smiley Very Happy

@Former-Member Heart Heart

That’s totally ok @Former-Member 

I know you’re struggling and it’s hard messaging everyone at times. Don’t worry. Take care of yourself and tag me anytime. 

I might not have any answers, but I do care and understand. 

🍰💜🌸🌺🌷

Thinking of you @Former-Member

I hope you’re looking after yourself. You are worth it. 

💜🌷🍰

@Former-Member

Do you qualify and/or get support through DVA?

https://www.dva.gov.au/factsheet-hcs01-veterans-home-care

hugs @Former-Member HeartHeart

Yes @Former-Member we do qualify for assistance through DVA, since hubby is a 20 year navy veteran. We qualify for Respite Care and Carer Support. It is through DVA that I organised to have access to either in-home or residential respite care if I have to go away again any time.  So that's all  approved now through DVA since we had an interview with them back in November. Its a relief to know that the service is available the next time I have to rush off to deal with ill parents or whatever.  They cover a few extra things which come under Veterans Home Care category. This includes such things as Personal Care (nursing staff), Respite Care (a visitor to come in and keep hubby company for a few hours if I need to be out), domestic assistance (cleaning) and safety related home and garden maintenance.  They have even approved gutter cleaning, window washing, air con filter cleaning, ceiling fan cleaning and fire alarm battery changes.  It comes under the category of safety-related home and garden maintenance.  They have organised for their supplier to do that over the coming month or so.  So that will be nice.  There is a lot they dont cover, such as longer term residential care, so anything else has to be organised through AgedCare.  

So we are very lucky to have these services.  So far I have only requested the home and garden maintenance.  Dont need the cleaner or the nurse, at this stage anyway.  And the In-home or residential respite care is pre-approved and available if or when I need it. I just need to let them know.

So thank you Darcy, I very much appreciate your advice.  Its not something I was aware we were entitled to until late last year.  Thanks too @Shaz51.

Sherry Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance