Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Bea
Senior Contributor

Self-neglect, same - worsening

LO lives solo, with home services (NDIS funded).

Unable to self-care personal hygiene tasks but has support by wonderful Support Workers 2 x visits per day. 

Lives with continence problems. Received professional advice: basically, unable to be cured, so must be endured + aim to contain.

Already using the most absorbent products but issue is unable to independently change when soiled. Was single now double incontinence. More frequent accidents both home & out. Family unable to take LO out in community with Support Workers to accompany.

I no longer wish to visit due to home odours. 

Has not sought medical treatment or if has, hasn't followed though with any tests/advice.  Is resistant to suggestions to seek more help. 

I can inform GP. Is there anything else I can do?

All advice welcome!

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Self-neglect, same - worsening

Heya @Bea, thank you for sharing this all with us. I imagine it's distressing and painful to see this happening to a LO. How are you coping with it? 

I don't know if I have any ideas on what else to do, but I thought I'd tag a few folks who might have some ideas on caring for others generally and how to encourage them to seek some extra help @Shaz51 @Determined @tired_sisyphus ❤️ 

@Bea 

Try focusing more on the lumbar area of your back. We often don't use that area when sitting down. So it can get weak. 

Also, buy a shower back scrub. It helps a lot in the shower so that you don't have to reach as far.

Hello and hugs @Bea 

I would be talking to the doctors 

There is other services such as " Blue care"

" my agedcare ", 

Hi @Bea,

It sounds like a challenging situation for all involved. I think you are right in informing the GP and see if they are able to talk with LO. It's a shame that LO is resistant to medical treatment because maybe this problem could be reduced if they sought help. 

It's a tough on all involved - also reminds me what a great job support workers, people that work in aged care, nurses etc do. I think they are the type of jobs not many people would be able to handle.

I wish I had some advice or wisdom but I hope you find a solution soon.

Best wishes,

FloatingFeather

@Bea thanks for sharing. Sounds like a very hard time for you, and must be difficult to navigate especially the resistance to seek help.

I agree that talking to the GP is helpful, if anything helps you hopefully navigate the situation better.

I don't have someone in your exact situation, although I do have older loved ones who also have certain issues, that should necessitate help, but resistant to the idea that they need it. Personally I just do what I can to validate their feelings, no blame (both on self and them).

Hoping you get something out of these forums too. Thanks for being here again.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance