Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

florencefifty
Senior Contributor

Note to self: alcohol is dangerous.

I got a new job last year.

The first time I had been properly intoxicated was at our work Christmas party. I had my teammates talk me through it, though, and I got home safe. It was really fun, and the alcohol probably brought that out more.

I got fired yesterday. I didn't expect it. I had been having some issues, but I genuinely thought that they might have given me more time. I decided to have something to drink.

It started out as two drinks, one at a time. One thing led to another, and I had five in half an hour. It even got to the point where the bartender realized what was happening, offered me some water and asked me to sit down. The weird thing is, though, she would say that and she moved on to the next customer.

I walked out, and went to the Police station, just to make sure that no-one was going to call me in thinking I was in danger. That's the thing, when you've got Depression, you don't know whether you can be honest about how you're feeling without someone thinking you're going to hurt yourself.

I asked the cop whether bartenders ever call for concern for welfare on intoxicated patrons, and she's like "not really... are you talking about yourself?" I said yes, and finally started crying, after being suddenly suspended from work and spending two days in limbo.

She admitted that five drinks was A LOT in half an hour, and asked me whether I was drinking because I was upset, and I said yes. But it was so much fun last time. She said that alcohol only amplifies what you're feeling at the time.

I asked whether I needed to be locked up and she said no. She offered to let me cool down in the lobby and read until I felt well enough. Ten pages later, I walked out.

Is this something I should be concerned about, to make sure I don't become dependent on alcohol? I thought of calling an alcohol counselling service, but just forgot about it. I might keep that in the back of my mind.

A big thanks to that cop. Sheesh. I said "this is why you're representing your state".

The last thing she said was "whatever you do, no more alcohol tonight" LOL. I stuck to that. I spent the rest of the night in a bookstore, and bought a new ink. A very different setting!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Note to self: alcohol is dangerous.

Yep it can be fun @florencefifty  and dangerous. 

Really glad you had a decent cop.  I would not worry too much about it.  I tend to limit social drinking to ONE.  Thats an easy habit to remember and I can sit on it for a long time and look like I am joining in any frivolity.

btw Books can be fun and dangerous too but in a different way. lol  Love that you went to a bookstore after.

Re: Note to self: alcohol is dangerous.

That job wasn't for you. Move on. Remember your worth and your value. If you feel you are having a problem with alcohol, seek support. Don't let one bad week spoil one good life .. take care 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance