Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Rare
Contributor

No private beds available but going to public ED sometimes makes things worse

i have been feeling bad since last Friday, increasingly nasty flash backs to my daughter's death/my attempts to get to her etc. Went on the private hospital wait list. 

Today i am really feeling like i don't want to keep going, they said another week wait for one hospital and maybe late Sunday or early next week for the other.

i can't get in to see my psychiatrist until Thursday week. The nurse i just spoke to said my psych asked her to tell me i could try the public ED if critical and he will keep pushing for a private hospital bed. 

im just not sure cos when i go to ED so much about Abbey went wrong there and these days if you're too coherent and no blood on the walls you are turned away and feel abandoned 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: No private beds available but going to public ED sometimes makes things worse

Hi @Rare

Words can't express my deepest condolences to you - reaching out and sitting with you in care and understanding.

If you feel it does get too much and you can't wait for an available bed, please don't hesitate to go to the ED and tell them "exactly" how you are feeling. Ringing lifeline or similar may help you also through this traumatic time. Please know you are not alone and that others do care. Sending a warm hug 🤗  - hang onto hope, its moment to moment for now. xx

Re: No private beds available but going to public ED sometimes makes things worse

i have come over to a friend's place again (i have spent 3 nights out of 4 here already), i was trying to give them a break but was told to come instead  of ED if i wanted, which is nice. i sleep on the mattress next to their bed, sounds weird  but works for the short term. i am soon moving to my own place and that will be good but very scary. Basically i am safe tonight and hope i get into hospital soon.

So good to read you are safe tonight @Rare 😊 What a wonderful friend to care and watch over you like that! - so very special. 

I do hope a bed becomes available for you soon - sounds like you are in good hands until then. Please let us know how you get on. Hugs 🤗 

Thanks @Former-Member I was admitted to hospital yesterday and am grateful to be in. 

That's good news @Rare - you are in safe hands now and in an environment where you can rest and start your recovery. I am happy that you posted to let me know as I had been thinking of you. When you can please let us know how it goes for you. Sending warm hugs 🤗 

Hey Rare, 
I've also had this problem a lot.  Prior to being able to pay for private health insurance I was a frequent flyer in the public mental health system and oftentimes the level of care really falls short of the mark. I've had almost month long waits to be admitted to private wards more recently and on multiple occasions have been turned back by public wards in the intermediary. In addition to this, many public wards have trivialized the severity of my situation and left me no better off in the long run. I understand that both systems are totally inundated so what I usually do is similar to your approach. If I have a friend who is comfortable with and sympathetic to my situation I ask to spend some time at their house so I feel safe and supported. Oftentimes it's hard to take care of myself and a helping hand can be really wonderful.  I also find that reaching out to public counseling services can be a lifesaver as my psychiatrist can only feasibly see me once a month. 
Most of these services are listed on government health websites, I would post some but they're obviously exclusive to region so I'm not sure what exists outside of places I've personally lived. 
Stay strong, struggling with trauma and MI is a case of peaks and troughs. Although it may seem contrived for me to say; nothing is hopeless, there are sunny days on the horizon and people who care, to help us get through rough periods like this. 

@Rare. That's a tough situation you find yourself in. Waiting lists for the private hospital and a public system that doesn't always admit those who need help.

If you did need to go to a public hospital, could you go to a different one. One where your daughter hadn't been. I understand the fear of being retriggered and getting even worse.

When I've  needed private hospital stay, my mum or I (depends if i'm able to advocate for myself), call the hospital everyday checking the status of the bed availability.

I'm glad you have such a good friend, where you can sleep near them and feel safer. Keep staying there when you need to, until that bed becomes available.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance