Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

16sundayz
Contributor

NDIS

How long did people have to wait until they were approved for NDIS? I'm just wondering if it's even worth applying for it. I would use it to pay for my psychologist so I don't have to pay him $600 again for going over 6 of the free 10 sessions I get currently with the Mental Health Care Plan.

10 REPLIES 10
greenpea
Senior Contributor

Re: NDIS

@16sundayz  Hi 16sundayz @eth  has a wonderful thread about her NDIS journey if you want to have a browse I can throughly recommend it.  I am currently waiting for my NDIS meeting to discuss funding.  What I have found to get this far is to have alot of proof re needing assistance due to my mi. Psychologists, psychiatrists, occupational therapists etc all help with getting the application approved.

It can take a while to get approved but I would recommend giving it a go. greenpea

Thanks I'll check out her thread

eth
Community Elder

Hi @16sundayz  thanks for the tag @greenpea .  The thread I started is called 'Anyone Started with the NDIS?' .  Long story short it took me 1 1/2 years to get accepted but I've had a much better life since getting it and it was definitely worth the fight.  Definitely.  My first plan is a total of $55000 for the year.

Happy to answer questions if I am able to.

Pepsimax
Senior Contributor

Hi @16sundayz  it would be really good to apply for the NDIS it is a lot of work but worth it I got $87000 do you have anyone to help you really important to get letters from all the people in your life 

Eden1919
Senior Contributor

@16sundayz  your likelyhood of success with the NDIS is highly influenced by the state or territory you live in. some sates have only recently implemented it and some areas still havent even got acces to it at all. however if you can get on for which it could take even over 6 months of communication it is helpful. 

Pepsimax
Senior Contributor

Hi again @16sundayz these people might be in your life I know your psychologist is go any other doctors family if around and any other people that are significant in your life

@Pepsimax @eth

Sorry to comment on an old post but just wondering if you wouldn't mind if you could give some examples of what supports your funding included?

Feel free to private message me if you don't want to share in a post. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

Not sure I can help but have you been approved for the ndis.

I've been trying to get a pension and approval for 2 years without success. 

I can't work out how the system works.i have a neighbour that shattered her ankle and has been approved but 7 spine surgeries is apparently not a qualification.

In regards to the Disability pension I was lucky that after three knock backs I was approved 22 years ago.

I had a very supportive doctor who took about 3 years to understand just how bad my mental health was.

He actually apologised for not realising this sooner.

Ultimately it was not giving up and having the right supporting information.

Things have changed in 22 years so do not hold your breath.

As for your physical issues I recall spraining an ankle and calling my employer as to needing a "sick day."

All was good until later in the day when he had to much work and needed help.

I said I could not walk therefore drive yet he could not understand.

He said the work could be done sitting down so my ankle would not be a problem in regards to doing said work.

I said that if he wanted to pay for a taxi to get me the 40klms to and from work I would be open to the idea.

I also stated that if he could arrange a wheel chair or similar to get me around the workplace this would further his chances of me agreeing to work.

He would not fund this solution to his problem.

This request for assistance is basically how the NDIS and Disability Pension system is supposed to work in regards to returning to work but only if you do not have an employer (Australian Government) who wants to save money and therefore not help you achieve this goal.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance