Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Rosalieann
Contributor

Heartbreak

Like many on this forum I have suffered, but having my heartbroken made me feel pain I could never even imagine I'd feel.
I love him and I know he loved me. He ended it so coldly on the phone, on our anniversary. He supported me through so much and was such a sweet kind man. I know it was difficult him to end it and that's why he couldn't find the courage to do it in person. I will forgive him and I will let him go. He said he spent so much time worrying about me he had forgotten about his self and he couldn't do it anymore. It was too much for him, I did push him away and refused to get help for myself. But it wasn't my fault right? I know I must work on my mental health and this pain has made me realise I'm not numb and dead inside. I have never loved a man before and feeling it means the world to me. But now I am suffering. I can't eat (literally haven't for days) or sleep properly. I'm afraid to be around myself but have made steps to get help. It's hard though where do you start? I wanted to go in to a residence like a clinic but I heard they can cost in the thousands and my family doesn't have that kind of money. I want a youth care worker but I'm wondering how much they cost too? I have someone talking to headspace for me but I'm concerned about costs. I don't think I'll be able to work for a while.
It's made me feel so empathetic, what happens to all those who can't afford the care they need?
I really need some advice, thanks for the time reading this

6 REPLIES 6
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Heartbreak

I'm sorry you're going through such a horrible time, but i think its great that you're reaching out for help. I would probably start by visiting a GP (thats just me though) and explaining whats been happening for you. They can help you with a mental health care plan which would then give you 10 medicare funded counselling sessions with a psychologist or psychiatrist. Here in SA i know that community health centres in the country can be good for information for whats available and there are free services too. 

http://www.mindhealthconnect.org.au/

this might help as well maybe.

Keep posting here as well, people here really understand. Good luck,

LJ

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Hi @Rosalieann

It's great that you are looking at your options to seek help. You mentioned someone is looking into Headspace for you. So it seems like you have some supportive people around.

Keeping connections during a time like this is important - It's so easy (& tempting) to isolate yourself.

Headspace is wonderful - their website has a lot of information on it too http://headspace.org.au/ I don't have much information about their costs, but they are 'youth friendly' and I suspect their costs would be low, if any.

Relationship breakups are hard on anyone and to have some mental health difficulties on top of that must be overwhelming.

There's some great resources on ReachOut.com about coping with relationship break ups  which contains some great practical tips.

I recall back in June you posted about your boss who had been bullying you - are you still in that same workplace?

Thank you for those links.
Yes technically I am still employed there but I'm thinking about handing in my resignation so I can have time to focus on my healing. It's going to be a bit of a financial burden though but I just don't think I can handle a breakup a bullying boss and depression and anxiety

I think that's a smart move @Rosalieann

Is there an option to take extended leave and keep it there as a back up?

Hi @Rosalieann

Break ups are never easy, sometimes relationships are hard work, and its okay to ask for some help when you need it, so good on you for sticking your neck out and asking.

I know people have given you some places to try but also think about giving Relationships Australia a call on 1300 364 277, they can provide some counselling which may be of help.

Cheers!

Outlanderali

dear @Rosalieann

How are you? I empathise with what you're going through and the  dealing with a difficult boss..hmmm.

If you do decide to go to say......Headspace...

Can you  mention your budget, they should be very happy to work with you.

Im really really sorry about the breakup.

You can think of say..... everything but ...you did something really good.

You gave him a lovely space to be able to tell you that he needs to think about himself.

When my marriage was going badly he dianosed with times of mental ill health ( me too ) there was no space for me to do anything. I couldnt talk to him. It was mind numbing twisty difficult. 

Two years later, my ex husband wrote me a card, he quit drugs and alcohol. Our friendship is very good fun.

My story is very different than what you are going through but the end result can be the same 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance