Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Neb
Senior Contributor

Have you got religion or some spiritual help

Hi, firstly I do not know whether this thread will go ahead, as there seems to be a world antipathy over any acknowledgement of things spiritual. <BR /><BR />I spent my childhood in a Christian upbringing and Catholic schooling. Got to teenage and determine to be my own redemption. Many years later, spent with Mental health issues, got interested in Buddhism and well, to cut a very long story short ended back as a Catholic. It has been very good for me. The establishment of boundaries which I cannot emphasis enough has been of great help. As a self harmer and obviously not very good at it, getting religion has been good in this area as well.

I wonder if this is the right spot for this....

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Have you got religion or some spiritual help

Heya Neb,

This is an interesting point you raise. I think a lot of people can feel quite passionate about religion, be it bad or good sentiments. I was also raised a catholic, and had Catholic schooling. As adult however, it's something that I don't practice or identify with.  But I can see how it can be very beneficial for others. My mother is still very religious and it seems to give her a sense of grounding. To me, this is what's important. If there is something out there that can help people than I think that's great.

The same goes with my mother towards me. I meditate every day and feel most aligned with Buddhism, which my mother whole heatedly supports because it give me a sense of grounding. Regardless of what people's religion or spiritual belief are, I think tolerance and acceptance of others is worth something worth practicing.

CB

Hi Neb,

I grew up in a similar situation where religion was concerned. I think it's important for everyone to have some form of spirituality. I think religion tends to marginalise someones faith to an extent. Don't get me wrong as I've grown up as a Catholic & still have my beliefs but these days I lean more towards Buddhism beliefs & practises ( even have certain Pagan beliefs now that I have a better understanding). I think what I'm trying to say is that I'm a very spiritual person but not really very religious. Religion & spirituality are very personal & as such I normally wouldn't choose to discuss either but think as this thread is discussing the subject in a broad sense it's safe to participate.

I hope you don't mind me jumping in & having a say. I posted on here the other day & apart from the Sane Team haven't had any replies so bit disappointed about that as I thought this would be the perfect platform to chat with other people that each have a battle of their own & therefore a better understanding of  others going through similar issues. I don't know about you but my issues with severe depression & anxiety have led me to become somewhat agoraphobic so I don't get to chat with others as I normally would have.

Peace & best wishes

FairyFox

I think anyone who can gain help through spirituality is very lucky. I was in the US for a spell with an aunty who tried to fix me with a type of pentacostel church visit using snakes to cure me. I got bitten so i didnt go back but it does show how different people can have strong feelings and beliefs in things which are legitament even if you dont believe in them yourself. I think i am spiritual but not in a usual way.

I was on another forum which i dont visit anymore  because one person on there told me God  didnt love me, because if he did he would not of given me schizophrenia. I think if you have spiritual beliefs it is important though that it is recognised there are many different types.

KennyG, I hear you. I woke up in ICU after self harm attempt and the doggone nurse was preaching at me. Now I was pretty unhappy about being around and I found it really offensive, sadly, I was physically restrained I think or maybe just weak as a kitten...bit of a blur, thankfully! I can't imagine how you must of felt getting clouted with what that person said. I have asked those questions since returning to my faith and been reconciled with my personal cross, but I think that people do not need someone saying or preaching at them when you are unwell. If the time comes and you go seeking, then it is right for you..does that make sense...I ain't setting up to bash my belief at anyone .

A strong belief in persons works for me..and the belief of universal benefit, Each person's recovery or personal growth aids in the transformation of the world...

I dont know why but the comment about god not loving me really effected me negatively and it took me a while to gey over it . The delusion i got from this told me i had to deprive myself from all comforts for my sin of schizophrenia which i did for some days. I fee slly about it now but that was my delusion. But i do think people have to be careful about usng religion, to criticize you because you dont have a particular form of faith Mine is hindu Taoist animast mix but makes sense to me. getting snakes put on you to cure schizophrenia i thought was pretty extreme but these people believe it so good luck to them for their faith in it. My aunty thought it helped me and she did it to help me out so it turned out to be a very nice thing she did in the end.

I agree!! Religion is a personal belief & nobody else has the right to try & push their beliefs onto anyone. Hence I dislike those that come to my home, knock on my door then proceed to tell me everything BUT the reason they're there. I don't think anybody or religion has the right to invade my privacy to push their belief onto me (in the most roundabout way possible) Last time there were three of them, all dressed to the nines, two of which were a very pregnant lady & a young boy about 5 or 6. My point here is how far they'll go to invade your privacy & suck people in. I had to ask four times what they were representing as she had her speil so down pat she couldn't or wouldn't interrupt it. There I've had my say on that situation haha.

Yes I think spirituality can be many different things to many different people. I believe that a person needs to have a belief in something though. 

May your God go with you.

Peace & love D x

I think formal Christianity stuffed me up really badly, but I do think god/Jesus saved me when I was trying to suicide. So many times, so unsuccessful. Why doesn't he save others then? I don't know sorry. I don't think it's because she loves me more, no way.

Fairy fox -spot on re. Invasion. I think it shows lack if respect, and bringing children along is very wrong.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance